Best Venue... POLL!

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.

Best Venue

Hifi
16%
Prince
24%
Public Office
9%
Lounge
4%
Brown Alley
21%
Forum
18%
Royal Melburn Hotel
3%
Billbord
No votes
Platform
4%
Laundry
1%

Total votes: 68

quick

Best Venue... POLL!

Post by quick »

Following Dboys advice, we need this to be polled if we're ever gonna get an answer...
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Fents

Post by Fents »

^^ Poll whore ;)

Go B.A!
quick

Post by quick »

Fents wrote:^^ Poll whore ;)

Go B.A!
MY FIRST POLL BIATCH... :twisted: :P
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Really depends on what kinda gig it is... my vote goes to the Forum... nothing but amazing memories from that Place...

Gotto say, if i have to go to another fuking gig at The Prince.. i swear i will top myself.... i reckon i been to that place at least 50 times over the last couple of years. I fuking HATE St Kilda.. friday night was unbearable... meh to infinity :(
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

there is like 15 views but 4 votes!!! Don't you people have opinions?
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

stovequeen wrote:Really depends on what kinda gig it is... my vote goes to the Forum... nothing but amazing memories from that Place...

Gotto say, if i have to go to another fuking gig at The Prince.. i swear i will top myself.... i reckon i been to that place at least 50 times over the last couple of years. I fuking HATE St Kilda.. friday night was unbearable... meh to infinity :(
:script:
quick

Post by quick »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:
stovequeen wrote:Gotto say, if i have to go to another fuking gig at The Prince.. i swear i will top myself.... i reckon i been to that place at least 50 times over the last couple of years. I fuking HATE St Kilda.. friday night was unbearable... meh to infinity :(
:script:
But its winning so far...
quick

Post by quick »

Oooh, Fents, did you vote under Kombat Bass as well??? :wink:
Friday

Post by Friday »

:shock: at sq.
i LOVE the prince and always will!
great sound, great vibe, great bars, great staff, great costs - (which means cheaper ticket prices for punters compared to somewhere like forum), love everything about it!
n it only takes me a couple of minutes to stumble home to windsor :P

agent mad did a large scale poll with this same question a couple of months ago with several hundred entries... interesting results...
wish i could share them but they're confidential :twisted: :P

:wink:
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Sorry Friday

I'm sure from a promoters perspective the Prince rocks. And don't get me wrong.. im grateful we have been able to see the acts we have at the cost provided etc...

I guess its just a personal gripe when you have a huge crew who regulary support 33.3's etc, but that have to travel across town everytime. serious cab costs. would be nice to have gigs in city at least. guess we can't win it all.....

I just need a change of scenery that's all....soooooo sick of going to Prince... zzzzzz.

No diss ment to the Prince... it is a rocking venue..

:smt102
Friday

Post by Friday »

you don't need to say sorry!!

i understand where you're coming from...

it would be cool that have a 33 on the north side - but i just can't think of where it would really work :?

we've done a couple at the hifi and they've been ok - but haven't worked as well as the prince shows do...

would be awesome to do them all at the forum but each show would be $70 + a pop!

i think for 33&1/3 prince is really the place to be...
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

so i guess what you are saying is 'too much of a good thing' ??
quick

Post by quick »

andycole23_steve wrote:....aslong as the sound is good and the artists n tunes are wicked...(isnt that what we go there for?) :shock: why does it matter about the bar, the way the club looks and where it is...
:?
It's called an opinion... on something that has some effect on a night, even if it is a small effect. I'm sure you have some sort of preference to where you go to hear good music?
quick

Post by quick »

andycole23_steve wrote:
quick wrote:
andycole23_steve wrote:....aslong as the sound is good and the artists n tunes are wicked...(isnt that what we go there for?) :shock: why does it matter about the bar, the way the club looks and where it is...
It's called an opinion... on something that has some effect on a night, even if it is a small effect. I'm sure you have some sort of preference to where you go to hear good music?
err nah not really...again sound system + tunes is all that matters to me....oh and decent ppl..and squirrels
been dragged around enuff house clubs n shit bars with my mates who are more concerned with what the club looks like
What about location, sound (eg acoustics, in house system etc..), avg punter, cost, comfort, size, staff... I could go on, these all have an effect on a night, and are venue related...
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Any venue is fine with me.

I was particularly impressed with The Forum when I went to see UNKLE though.
quick

Post by quick »

andycole23_steve wrote:oh and decent ppl..
andycole23_steve wrote:avg punter....im not arsed whos there
I'm just saying that these things must give some sort of preference as to where a potential gig is held, i.e, where would you rather the next dnb party to be held if it was your choice? Regardless of who was playing, and when it was, just the venue, If you can't answer that then... I dunno...

Ani

Post by Ani »

lucas wrote:Any venue is fine with me.

I was particularly impressed with The Forum when I went to see UNKLE though.
I remember the Forum fondly because it was so hot outside (even at night time) that everything was melting, and inside was so lovely and cool (the night of UNKLE). Was also a good gig tho.
saintberry

Post by saintberry »

err nah not really...again sound system + tunes is all that matters to me....oh and decent ppl..and squirrels
been dragged around enuff house clubs n shit bars with my mates who are more concerned with what the club looks like
ahh man, word. im one of those peeps who has friends that are into batty house! is thats all thats in this city???? fooking fitzroy st, every next bar/freedom catalog is a dagger in my ears. ive been here about 4 weeks and suv and zinc were tops night but really i cant affort that shit on a weely basis.

where is the rollin bass and the flowing beer on a regular basis???
First you get her name. Then you get her number. Then you get some get some in the back seat of a hummer!
quick

Post by quick »

So, any more votes???
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

saintberry wrote:fooking fitzroy st
Try the other Fitzroy St in Fitzroy.
Don't hate me for house
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Forum all the way. have such love for that place! :D 8)

Fi - with you on the St Kilda end of town and the hike down there. pain in da ass. You have to tea-up with mates to go home together so cab ride is cheaper.
mecka

Post by mecka »

Hifi
Great, but gets too hot at times.

Prince
Fantastic, but in St Kilda. Also has problems with drink spikers.

Public Office
Not enough parties there, kinda out of the way.

Lounge.
Friendly staff, food, pool tables, balcony, too small for massive international parties.

Brown Alley
Yeah, no.

Forum
Excellent. Might be difficult to fill for some acts though.

Royal Melburn Hotel
Not enough parties there. Medievil toilets.

Billbord
Can't really comment.

Platform
Good, but feels claustrophobic for some.

Laundry
Over fitzroy.
quick

Post by quick »

comments from the super-coach...
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

The John Curtain upstairs is easily the best venue / setup[ for dance parties i have seen in ages

6 deck setup, lush, VIP DJ booth, that is centre of room up high, glass floor looking thru to patrons coming up the stairs from below.

Wickid placement of couches seating etc.. and the sound is f*ck off unbelievable as you'd expect when Kieren (SPecial K) from 48 records sets it up for you.

No parties currently running trher at the mo. Although we got away with doing the Screw U aLive after party there - they are still getting liscencing together.

There are a host of nights all awaiting this liscencing, but when it happens prepare yourselves for Melbournes new hot spot.

IOt will be the Prince this side of the river, except better.
cha_chaos

Post by cha_chaos »

where's the espy?

The rubber plant was surprised. If the rubber plant could have spoken, it wouldn't have said anything. That's how surprised the rubber plant was.
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

quick wrote:comments from the super-coach...
Bahahahahaha.

Oh man. I have it on vinyl. Must listen again.
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King Jr.
TheOperatives

Post by TheOperatives »

A good venue should incorporate excellent sound and light technology that is eqed and placed well in relation to the layout of the venue. It should have excellent systems set in place to provide efficiency (less queues out front, bar service), safety, and essentials (enough bathrooms, seats) for patrons. I think the bar is a very important aspect, not everyone who enters a club is there for the music, but their experience becomes more enjoyable if they can get fresh lime in their drink (a wedge, not a slice thinner than paper), in a glass, not plastic or scratched up glasses from last century. The staff who serve and bouncers who are friendly add to the ambience for sure, also honest venues who return lost and found items. Cost wise that often depends on the internationals, and relative to how many punters the venue can hold, as for local parties , i haven't seen any of them go over $15.

there are many more aspects to making a good venue, but if you can potentially provide and provide some of the above mentioned factors well, i think you might have a winner.

I think clubs in melbourne have to work a bit harder......
ImageImage
cj the taniwha

Post by cj the taniwha »

i want to give my vote to the mercat
Back from the desert to stir things up a little :)
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

DBoy wrote:there is like 15 views but 4 votes!!! Don't you people have opinions?
My favorite club isn't on there. Shouldn't there be an "other" choice?
:roll:
deviant

Post by deviant »

Brown Alley is right up there... I wonder if the poll would be the same if it were started now?
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

Personal fav is Lounge, but i've had many an awesome night playing in there, Tho of late i would give my vote to the Mercat. Got to love that nexo system, sounds wicked. friendly staff.
Easy @ Word - 23rd May Opening Night, every saturday
Everything You Want - Fridays @ Lounge Downstairs
OldSkool Hip Hop and Funk - Saturdays @ Red Violin
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

Sustain

Post by Sustain »

ok i know i'm stirring the pot here, but a really important part of a club and the experience of being a patron is having friendly staff...

i've found alot of the staff at lounge in particular to have a serious superiority complex... too often than not they have made me feel as if i am inconveniencing them by asking for a beer/meal
this has happened many times and it's got nothing to do with being a drunk fool/bad patron- i've talked to alot of ppl who agree with me about this venue

i work in hospitality and sometimes i have a shit night but i'm not an arsehole to patrons because of it: you have your job cos of the customer so make em feel welcome
coprende
Sustain

Post by Sustain »

oh and First Floor gets my vote 8)
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Sustain wrote:oh and First Floor gets my vote 8)
:scr1pt:
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

this is gonna get ugly
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
type_raver

Post by type_raver »

Voted brown alley, reason i chose BA was because of the lower level, double story.
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

That should nearly be another thread, Which venue has the best staff ?
Easy @ Word - 23rd May Opening Night, every saturday
Everything You Want - Fridays @ Lounge Downstairs
OldSkool Hip Hop and Funk - Saturdays @ Red Violin
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

cj the taniwha wrote:i want to give my vote to the mercat
Same here. Any of the upstairs rooms at Mercat are good; I've been to great gigs in all three of them. Never liked downstairs at the Mercat, even though it's improved somewhat.

Loop is great for visuals, despite my complaints about that place. Plus they actually bothered putting acoustic foam on their ceiling. If only others would do the same. *coughcroftcough*

Kinda wish Bourgie was still going.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

my favourite venue to go to is probably bunker, just cuz it is like my loungerooom
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Sustain wrote:ok i know i'm stirring the pot here, but a really important part of a club and the experience of being a patron is having friendly staff...

i've found alot of the staff at lounge in particular to have a serious superiority complex... too often than not they have made me feel as if i am inconveniencing them by asking for a beer/meal
this has happened many times and it's got nothing to do with being a drunk fool/bad patron- i've talked to alot of ppl who agree with me about this venue

i work in hospitality and sometimes i have a shit night but i'm not an arsehole to patrons because of it: you have your job cos of the customer so make em feel welcome
coprende
i noticed the same thing Sustain, so last week i decided to smile real big and be very polite to the chicky behind the bar, she smiled back and seemed happy that i was polite. I was impressed with the outcome. Not sure why they are like that though :smt102

anyone got any theories?
cj the taniwha

Post by cj the taniwha »

trickle down theory - management=wanker, staff = wanky
Back from the desert to stir things up a little :)
Fents

Post by Fents »

Lizkins wrote:
Sustain wrote:ok i know i'm stirring the pot here, but a really important part of a club and the experience of being a patron is having friendly staff...

coprende
i noticed the same thing Sustain, so last week i decided to smile real big and be very polite to the chicky behind the bar, she smiled back and seemed happy that i was polite. I was impressed with the outcome. Not sure why they are like that though :smt102

anyone got any theories?
Staff at Lounge aint so bad. All the bar chicks are nice if you just smile and ask poliety as Liz said.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

i can't vote again but i would like to mention (cos the other thread just reminded me) that Billboards is definitely top of the pops! Spent some of the best years of my life in that place. Never had a complaint the whole time. love it!

Just wish they would let other genres of music in...like dnb of course :roll: :P :D
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

I love Prince! Memories.
...and basically that's the situation
almax

Post by almax »

Mellogs wrote:I love Prince! Memories.
or lack there-of :wink:
Kilgore_Trout

Post by Kilgore_Trout »

Anywhere other than Brown Alley. I've had my bag stolen there twice and vowed I'd never go there again.
deviant

Post by deviant »

Brown Alley is almost gunna over take prince :shock:

I thought everyone hated the place :?: As I said before, the downstairs is rad :)
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

I likes Hifi for huge gigs.
I likes Prince because its nice, good seating and ya can take a stroll by the bay.
And I likes Platform One - it's grown on me, two rooms side by side with heaps of seating.
When theres plenty of seating I'm happy because theres nothing more annoying when you've dance you ass off and dying for a seat for a bit of a breather and theres hardly any.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

D wrote:I likes Hifi for huge gigs.
I likes Prince because its nice, good seating and ya can take a stroll by the bay.
And I likes Platform One - it's grown on me, two rooms side by side with heaps of seating.
When theres plenty of seating I'm happy because theres nothing more annoying when you've dance you ass off and dying for a seat for a bit of a breather and theres hardly any.
:scr1pt:

its one thing that annoys me about HiFi, cos you have to go upstairs to seat usually, which means not being able to hear the music in the main room. Also not being able to smoke upstairs shits me too.