Therapy Sessions THIS SUNDAY w/ RAIDEN LIVE :: Set Times

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
ctoafn_DMZ

Therapy Sessions THIS SUNDAY w/ RAIDEN LIVE :: Set Times

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

After having looked for a suitable venue for Saturday night to no avail, the lovely people at Miss Libertine's have offered their services to host our party.

We'll be kicking off the beats @ 2pm with ctoafn playin some cruisey (but dark of course) dubstep and techno then ramping it up with Lex and Cliffery with the drum n bass. Once the sun goes down, Raiden will jump on for 2 hours off blistering techno fused drum n bass all done through his Ableton LIVE set up. And to finish it all off, we'll have Industrial Negotiator (Serotone, Linas & Recur) smashing up the last hour with some live and dirty techno to send you into your working week. We promise you'll be in bed by 11pm and rockin to work the next day - and all that for a lazy $20 on the door!!!

Check out details for the Producers Workshop w/ Raiden in the Production section of Melbournebeats. For more info, contact [email protected]
Last edited by ctoafn_DMZ on Mon May 05, 2008 6:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
razyier

Post by razyier »

fuck yes! going to be fucking awesome :D
David Bass

Post by David Bass »

nice
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Wikkid. Was waiting for the next Therapy Session to be confirmed.
That last show with Limewax and Dylan was off hook.
Give us a yell about this Myles.
wilks

Post by wilks »

Hella yeah!!!!

Yeah I'll have some pie.
I went to buy some camouflage pants the other day but I couldn't find any.
Amick

Post by Amick »

there fo' shiz! w00t!
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

black star wrote:Wikkid. Was waiting for the next Therapy Session to be confirmed.
That last show with Limewax and Dylan was off hook.
Give us a yell about this Myles.
YELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Nice one Myles.
RK

Post by RK »

DOPE. Raidens last set here was teh fuckin radness. Bring it. 8)
Big ups Myles.
On the mish.....
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

no shit..

noice
enigneyratorelknaw

Post by enigneyratorelknaw »

TITS!!
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

Courtesy of the good members of Sydney Friction forums (http://www.sydneyfriction.com) and DJ Aggrovator (from 4th Quadrant), these guys were asked to put together ten questions for Raiden to answer. There are some great questions which Raiden took the time to answer in detail last night. I got these from the man himself this morning and thought I'd knock them off for all to see. I'll have some more details on venues, pricing and local support for the Melbourne show in a few days time - been very busy moving house (may even have some dirty live techno to finish you cats off at 5am in the morning)

Good Day to you Mr Jarman, whats happening ??

Yea not bad, feeling abit tired today. I'm currently suffering after a heavy night out, I was clubbing in Berlin last night directly from a gig in Rome, Im just showing off now :-)

1. Its been a while since you graced the shores of Australia what can we expect from you 'live' show this time around and what are you looking forwad to most about your trip other than playing in Sydney of course?

My lives sets are an eclectic mix of many styles of electronic music all mashed up into DnB and remixed on the fly. I combine my own material with splices from artists as varied as Jeff Mills, Nitzer Ebb, Vengelis, Aphex Twin and Surgeon. The live sets certainly has a different flow to standard DJing, as its more than just blending 2 tracks from A to B.
I' m very much looking forward to the adventure of coming to Australia, its a very long way to come on your own so I'm sure I will return to Europe with many stories and a stronger sense of friendship.

2.You've recently released work with hard edge techno producer Rodell which is so heavily influenced by hard warehouse style techno its hard to tell what genre it fits into, any plans to release straight up techno tunes in future or you strictly a DnB man?

Its no secret that I'm a big fan of techno, especially the Detroit sound from the mid to late nineties. I was in a minimal techno Club in Berlin last night and I found the music incredibly boring, yet I'm not a big fan of stupidly hard techno either. There doesn't seem to be much going on in between Minimal and Shranz these days so until there a possibility to of hearing Detroit vibe again I will be sticking firmly with DnB.

3. Theres been a string of new artists released on your label and Temper D has just started his imprint as well, tell us a bit about some new new upcoming artists to look out for on the tech style tip this year?

For me right now I'm not so focused on the newer up and coming artists. I'm currently focusing on the more established producers as the can take this sound much further with a high degree of production which is badly needed in the Techno Influenced sound. I think the artists to look out for over the coming year would be:
Dying Punks, this is my project with Dean Rodell and its the only true cross techno/DnB project. Dean Rodell is a very established techno producer so together we have alot to bring in terms of true crossover techno style production.
Current Value is making alot of techno style DnB and its seriously funky with an incredible production sound, he is cable of making many styles and I think his talent will push things forward. I've never seen anyone work a studio like Current Value.
I'm interested to see where someone like Audio can take this sound, he just completed a track for the forthcoming Offkey LP and its is some seriously fresh sounding ideas.
Cooh is probably the most exciting new comer at the moment, hes is able to make a track a day and never seems to run out of ideas. Definitely keep an eye on him over the coming year as hes coming up fast!

4. Being a very underground style with less of a market than the more mainstream DnB thats out there what is it that keeps you interested in the sounds you are currently pushing ?

Records sales definitely doesn't effect my interest. I think the market for underground music is very widespread, just because its not in the media so much doesn't mean theres no one listening to it. I'm finding myself playing in more and more obscure places where they have a Passion for a more underground sound as well as the major cities. The thing with underground music it that its consistent and not influenced by trends so it comes across more honest and people see that. The interest comes from not making what the media wants you to listen to, but from what I personally like and trying to perfect that.

5. Do you have any general tips for young or budding producers / DJs itching to get into the game at the moment?

You have to be passionate and be into it for the right reasons. The Internet has a huge amount of on line tuturails and books available that can give you valuable skills that you would never learn on your own. If your good you will go far, its simple as that so practice, every great athlete has to train constantly and being successful with music is no different, but most important thing is to have fun!

6. The techier styles in DnB have grown hugely over the last few years with artists like Proket, Prode, The sect, Catacomb, Phace, Noisia etc all exploding and really finding their niche within the worldwide drum n bass movement. How are you enjoying what you are doing the moment and what plans do you have regarding labels / tunes / collaborations
etc for the coming year?

I'm loving what I'm doing now more than I ever have done as I'm getting really close to what I'm trying to achieve musically. I'm very busy production wise at the moment, Ive just finished a batch of remixes that include Adam Freeland's 'We Want Your Soul', Woody McBride's 'Basket Ball Diaries' and a remix for a US hip hip crew called Prolific plus more. On Offkey I have some tracks on the Firm compilation LP, a collaboration EP with Current Value and a Dying Punks EP. I also have a single coming on Position Chrome this year with some more experimental ideas and also a Dubstep release with Subtrakt. Over the last 2 years I have been quiet in terms of production as I have been building up OffKey and breaking new artists but this year I plan to be alot more active in the studio.

7. I grew up in the UK and Techno and DnB always went hand in hand for me as i only ever went to free parties / warehouse events etc and steered clear of mainstream clubbing.....what is it about that kind of sound you love so much and do you see yourself continuing to push this style well into the future?

I love this sound as it has all the elements I want in electronic music. I'm very much into the hypnotising Detroit techno vibe fused with basslines and energy while always focusing on experimention. I feel this sound is just starting to blossom so there much more work to be done in refining this sound. This techno influenced sound is certainly getting bigger and more interesting, so theres every reason to keep on, keeping on.

8. Who have been some of your main influences over the years and what would you say inspired you to start making tunes originally?

My main influences is the Axis records and Underground Resistance sound, with people like Jeff Mills and Robert Hood, for there minimalism and hypnotism with their mature Sci-fi edge. Also I love alot of Aphex Twin tracks as he always has something unique. I'm also a very big fan of the Surgeon, musically and for his DJ sets. He plays a very eclectic mix of all styles and this has had a huge impact on my live performances. The inspiration to start producing is purely down the the fact I really wanted to make music and mess with the technology, I still do it for the same reasons today, its my hobby first, job second.

9. Forums / downloads and the internet in general have changed the music industry allot over the past few years. Would you say it has had more of a positive effect than negative on the way people are involved in music?

Its definitely changed things, I don't think its better or for worse, just different. The positive side is it helped music reach a wider global audience and allowed you to access music that you may never have found before. Its also allows the listeners to be in direct contact with the artist. Theres alot of negativity where you find people criticizing anybody who tries to do something, probably because they are incable of doing anything themselves. These people believe they are helping the scene, but infact they're doing the complete opposite. Most Internet forums to me is just internet toilet graffiti.

10. Last but not least, when you're not in the studio or touring what do you get up to in your spare time?

Living in Estonia we have a big culture for sauna. I start each morning with a swim and sauna. You sit in the sauna until you cant take the heat anymore then jump into a pool of freezing cold water. Its much nicer than it sounds, you feel reborn. I'm currently into riding my road racing bike, having fantasies of winning the Tour De France, and I like to go fishing. Its important to have hobbies for well being and happiness.
on tour

Post by on tour »

:twisted:
We will chant with robes on you will learn...
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

absolutely looking forward to this.
raiden's production is always killer, i've got a jarman record that i rate in my top 5 all time dnb tracks, surgeon was the first rave i ever went to, vangelis was a big influence on me too, would be nice if he liked the rougher side of techno too, but we can't have everything.i always love seeing someone give live a work out too.

thanks therapy :)
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

unsoundbwoy wrote:, would be nice if he liked the rougher side of techno too, but we can't have everything.i always love seeing someone give live a work out too.

thanks therapy :)
You're welcome mate - Just to keep you happy, we're gunna have a full live techno show to close off after Raiden - just to mix it up a lil bit. Some nice nasty industrial shit too ;-)

Spread the word to your mates about this - We're having some delays in getting stuff sorted but we'll get there. Raiden is pumped for coming back too so its bound to be a stomping good night. Cant wiat to see his live show!!!
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

on tour wrote::twisted:
If you don't come to this, i'm taking you out of my will.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

I was kind of hoping that Lex would be ripping up the decks at Raiden.
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

Flyer, full details on day and time change in the original. Check it!!!!!
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

I love it when I get my way.
Will be awesome to see Lex at Therapy.

ooh, another Sunday Session at Miss Libs. That Limewax arvo was pretty wicked.
Needs more after party though.
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

Raiden says BUMP!!!!

marke

Post by marke »

in now, bday weekend!!!!

thought i was meeting the folks on this day for the bday meal not anymore...
stoked for daytime party... :D
nadine

Post by nadine »

Haven't partied in the daylight hours in so long... looking very forward to this :)
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

I've got the set times below for those who need to work around Mothers Day visit and stuff. By the way, if you bring your mum along with you, we'll let her in for free ;-)

12-2pm - Ableton & Producers Workshop with Raiden (only open to confirmed entrants see below)
2pm - Doors open, BBQ fires, beers on tap
2pm til 4pm - ctoafn (dubstep vs techno)
4pm til 7pm - Lex and Cliffery
7pm til 9pm - RAIDEN LIVE
9pm til close - Industrial Negotiator LIVE (Serotone, Linus & Recur)

Its only $20 on the door and we'll have the BBQ firing with sausages and steaks etc most of the day.

We've got LVP providing the crazy laser lighting show for those who missed it at Dylan & Limewax, Miss L's great in house sound tuned to perfection and Lex will actually show up to play instead of being in hospital like the last two times he was supposed to play.....lol.

Entries to the Producer Workshop (http://melbournebeats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13110) close Thursday pending available spots. Please email [email protected] to organise payment to confirm booking.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

This is going to be a killer day!
spiral

Post by spiral »

ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

So who da fuck is coming along tomorrow??? This thread has gone pretty quiet...................

Raiden completely smashed the crap out a sold out gig in Perth...................wicked ;-)
Lauer

Post by Lauer »

I will definetly, pissed i missed him last time.
razyier

Post by razyier »

cheers to organizers etc for the gig/workshop, was good fun! :D keep em coming
killeye

Post by killeye »

More Sunday night raves please!!

Only caught Raiden's set, but it was awesome!!! (Ears are smashed though) I am fully converted to the tech + drum'n'bass/technoid whateva! 8)

Big ups to all :D
"That's my desire, keep pushing, keep striving"

killeye myspace
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Really sorry I couldn't make this one, but poor health left me house ridden.
mrj

Post by mrj »

I was never gonna be able to go to this because of Mothers Day (was out of the city visiting my mum in Gippsland)

but..

Can I just say BIG UPS to the organsiers of this. scheduling set times at a reasonable hour plus adding some value add activities for the punters.

this is the way lots more gigs need to be run!!

my hats off to you kids!
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

mrj wrote:I was never gonna be able to go to this because of Mothers Day (was out of the city visiting my mum in Gippsland)

but..

Can I just say BIG UPS to the organsiers of this. scheduling set times at a reasonable hour plus adding some value add activities for the punters.

this is the way lots more gigs need to be run!!

my hats off to you kids!
:scr1pt:
Smile on Impact

Post by Smile on Impact »

well It was good fun.
good to put faces to names aswell.

big ups!

:D
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Good turnout?

I was also out of town for Mum's Day.
spiral

Post by spiral »

had good fun & arvo tech session was great idea
and good to see it all in action in the evening
enigneyratorelknaw

Post by enigneyratorelknaw »

Good stuff, had fun. There is something about lazers, smokemachines and appocaliptic beats on a sunday. Felt kinda naughty, innit :oops:
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Mega props to Myles and Collateral Damage.

What a wikkid gig. From the producer session at 1PM (which was fucken awesome, great idea and well executed) right thru to the live tekkers after 9pm. Good variety of suport acts, that first DJ playing dubest wasn't too bad, Lex killed it as always, Raiden obviously the highlight of evening with his live set before Industrial Negotiator wrapped up the gig with their first live set. Good sound and a fuck load of lasers comes standar with the Melbourne Therapy sessions - no expense spared.

Many thanks to Chris for taking the time to answer production questions and articulate his thoughts in a helpful manner. I was blown away by what he is able to do when he performs live and it was interesting to find out how he puts a live set together and to learn some tricks from some one who walks the talk.

Plus I was in bed by midnite and saved myself a wad of cash on chemicals by not having to stay up all night like so many other international acts - and the reasonable door tax helped heaps too.
Nice one!

I reckon other crews/ promters/ venue bookers and any one running parties in Melbourne could learn a thing or two about taking gigs to the next level. Theres more to putting on a show than a pretty flyer and string up some cammo nets.
Izza

Post by Izza »

Yep lots & lots of awesome tunes played, so much good music in one arvo/night.

I am soooooooooo thankful for all the tasty gigs that are in the pipeline, 2008 is set to be musically magic. B/Ups guys.

I also think the producers thing was a fantastic idea, all of the people I spoke to about it said good things.

:twisted:
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

Thanks to everyone who came on down to help support on Sunday. Although the turnout wasnt quite what we were hoping for. Everyone who came down rocked the place. Chris was very impressed by the people busting out at 7pm on a Sunday afternoon.

Hope there are not too many pissed off mums around ;-) We've recorded all the sets so we'll be putting them on line later this week once we've had approval from the DJ's and made sure the recordings came out nice.

We're back to Friday night shenigans for our next one.

For Therapy Sessions IV, we've got SPL from the US playing both a dubstep from his new Hollowpoint label and smashing dnb set, then Nanotek repping NZ for Freak, Obscene and Intrasignant plus local favourite Paul Blackout coming down from Newcastle. That with a huge side room of local techno heroes that most techno heads will pay the cover charge just to see the side room. All happening upstairs at the newly renovated Brown Alley on Friday 18th July.
nadine

Post by nadine »

ctoafn_DMZ wrote:
Hope there are not too many pissed off mums around ;-)
I'm certainly not a pissed off mum.... I had a fukn great time!

Raiden is a legend and a really nice guy to boot.