Jetstar & Avalon

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
nhd

Jetstar & Avalon

Post by nhd »

Bonjour,
i need to fly up to brisbane one weekend soon, and jetstar are the cheapest flights up by about $100+ all up.
Except they only leave from Avalon.

im asking if anyones done this before, is it worth getting out to Avalon, and whats the best way.

Peace
nick
gnat

Post by gnat »

avalon is arse

it's practically in geelong- go over westgate or ring rd whichever

miiiiiiiiiiiiiles away

could not

never, not ever

i told fam and friends i won't pick them up from there. tulla or nuthin
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

My sister does it regularly when she comes down from Brisbane. She always jumps on the bus in Franklin street to get to Avalon, and probably gets a similar bus from the airport to the city. She leaves my house/the city about 3 hours before the flight is due to take off, where as when I fly from Tullamarine I leave home 1.5 hrs before the flight.

She is a tight arse with $ so for her the time spent on the extra travel is very doable if the flight was supercheap.
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
gnat

Post by gnat »

bus trip to/from avalon would be even worse

death

even try qantas nick- i've got the cheapest deals through them over virgin and jetstar before- for serious
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

It's probably worse for that kind of thing when it is your own city. When it isnt and it's all "travel" I don't think you find it so bad. Eg. I could NEVER imagine catching the monorail from bris airport to the city or wherever it goes. Pick me up or I ain't coming to visit!!

We're just spoilt by living so close to the Tulla on this side of town.
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
Stray

Post by Stray »

Last edited by Stray on Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deviant

Re: Jetstar & Avalon

Post by deviant »

nhd wrote:Jetstar & Avalon
can get fucked?

seriously, I don't fly very often, but I WILL NOT put touring artists through the pain.....

jetstar sux, even from tulla.... total balls from avalon, it's basically a giant wool shed
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

virgin blue blue from tulla
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

what are tiger doing? avalon or tulla?
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

tulla. they can has whole terminal n that.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

dont fly tiger.

cheap, so cheap they got no crew.

tulla section is lol, baggage claim outside with the flies!
Stray

Post by Stray »

Stray wrote:www.adioso.com :smt023
There are shit loads of $99 virgin blue flights
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

i can only add to the anti-avalon opinions. it takes about an hour or more to get out here, it's an ex-army airport (minimal terminal) and it's really not worth it.

i'd take stray's suggestion.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
nhd

Post by nhd »

thanks for that site stray! (it doesnt quite reflect the actual prices tho)

i ended up going with virgin blue on the long weekend in march for 120 up 160 back. not so bad and its a total tax write off!!

thanks for the heads up MB fam.
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Gosh. Some rather fussy folk on here.

I agree it's generally not worth it for the money; most times you can get a cheap enough flight from Melbourne. However if everything's booked out, it's a better option than paying through the nose.

And yes, the Avalon bus ride adds an hour or so to your journey but there's nothing otherwise unpleasant about it. I don't really see what everyone's problem is. Take an ipod and read a book.
wilks

Post by wilks »

Takes 20 min to tulla and 45 to avalon, I rekon you save that extra time going to avalon by not having to deal with the parking and queues.

We did a 4 day trip to Sydney to see The Police and Bjork, parked at ava for those days for $40, getting in and out of the airport was so fucken quick. But will always use Qantas for longer trips like Perth and Cairns.
I went to buy some camouflage pants the other day but I couldn't find any.
marcus

Post by marcus »

Never book guest DJ's from interstate to fly on jetstar. It can be a pain driving them out there the next day.
Fents

Post by Fents »

marcus wrote:Never book guest DJ's from interstate to fly on jetstar. It can be a pain driving them out there the next day.
we left two dj's $60 at their hotel reception once (for a taxi) cause we were too smashed to even contomplate a drive to tulla. would of cost us $120 if it had of been avalon without a doubt.
flippo

Post by flippo »

Special Hegg wrote:Gosh. Some rather fussy folk on here.

I agree it's generally not worth it for the money; most times you can get a cheap enough flight from Melbourne. However if everything's booked out, it's a better option than paying through the nose.

And yes, the Avalon bus ride adds an hour or so to your journey but there's nothing otherwise unpleasant about it. I don't really see what everyone's problem is. Take an ipod and read a book.
lol I was thinking the same thing Leigh.

ewwwww geting on a bus with povo people.

:teef:
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

Fents wrote:
marcus wrote:Never book guest DJ's from interstate to fly on jetstar. It can be a pain driving them out there the next day.
we left two dj's $60 at their hotel reception once (for a taxi) cause we were too smashed to even contomplate a drive to tulla. would of cost us $120 if it had of been avalon without a doubt.
i remember piffing $50 at Chris Inp and bunging him in a taxi after being up for 2 days wasnt going near the airport lolol
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

flippo wrote:
Special Hegg wrote:Gosh. Some rather fussy folk on here.

lol I was thinking the same thing Leigh.

ewwwww geting on a bus with povo people.

Just cos I'm rich doesn't mean I'm a bitch, you know?!
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
deviant

Post by deviant »

huge wrote:
Fents wrote:
i remember piffing $50 at Chris Inp and bunging him in a taxi after being up for 2 days wasnt going near the airport lolol
we do that to almost every international..... pick them up before hand... $50 for taxi on the way back huhuhulol
marcus

Post by marcus »

deviant wrote:
huge wrote:
Fents wrote: we left two dj's $60 at their hotel reception once (for a taxi) cause we were too smashed to even contomplate a drive to tulla. would of cost us $120 if it had of been avalon without a doubt.
we do that to almost every international..... pick them up before hand... $50 for taxi on the way back huhuhulol
I had to ask Mum nicely if she could possibly drive myself and said guest dj to Avalon.

:lol:
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

I kinda liked going to avalon. Yeah it took longer, but you didnt get scanned as if you were a terrorist 5 times, or wait in massive lines for ages. Yes it further away, it has school time chairs and non of the fan fair Tulla does.

But yeah, warning on Tiger. They can cancel your flight and thats it, no obligation to reschedule it, you loose your money and your holiday. And dont beleive when they say take insurance out for it cos it doesnt cover it. :?
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

WTF? how dodgy

we looked into flying to tas on tiger and all the extra little costs for brining baby luggage made it just as expensive as virgin
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

I know. I work in travel insurance and had all these calls one day after a Tiger special on the news. CEO said 'we encourage our passengers to take out insurance in case we have mechanical breakdown as we wont reschedule' or something. Problem is, its our policy they can buy and exclusion number 2 reads " we will not pay for delays caused by carriers'.

Its very very odd, look out i say! :shock:
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

gnat wrote:avalon is arse

it's practically in geelong- go over westgate or ring rd whichever

miiiiiiiiiiiiiles away

could not

never, not ever

i told fam and friends i won't pick them up from there. tulla or nuthin
:smt043

pfft

urbanites
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

I fly to Brissie every couple of months or so.
Never done the Avalon thing. Seems like a pain and I'm not so sure the $ saved wouldn't get eaten up on pt to avalon anyway not to mention the f around and $ if you're a bit late checking in with jetstar.
you can check in and print Virgin Blue boarding passes up to 24 hrs prior online too.
It's actually may be quicker to fly from tullla to the gold coast and bus or bus / train it to brissie from there.
http://iwantthatflight.com.au/
Smile on Impact

Post by Smile on Impact »

I don't Know about Jetstar, But Avalon make great Preamps !!!

Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Last edited by Blaxter on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

I flew to Adelaide once on Jetstar and it took longer to get to Avalon in the car than it did to fly to Adelaide................ The airport bus to get out there cost like $20 which is double the one out to Tulla.