Planet Pendulum Live

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Fents

Planet Pendulum Live

Post by Fents »

Slam / Intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5prDapNXt4

Fasten your Seatbelts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67WLIEU-iEQ

I personally dont like it.

Discuss?
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

ok, so it's a sampler or record, an electronic drum kit, a bunch of six minute songs that are meant for the dj format, and a room full of pinged ravers. sure, you gotta grow and it'll definitely work (in the uk/us at least) but what the fuck?

stop fucking about and write another 'still grey' please.
L-J

Post by L-J »

i think i need a couple of gurners for this
The South East Connection-Every Sat 9am-11am GMT+1 8pm-10pm GMT+10
Big Tings-24th Oct With Coki, Loefah, Mj Cole and Zed Bias @ Roxannes
Branded Beats- 6th Nov @ Mercat
cj the taniwha

Post by cj the taniwha »

valuetime wrote:ok, so it's a sampler or record, an electronic drum kit, a bunch of six minute songs that are meant for the dj format, and a room full of pinged ravers. sure, you gotta grow and it'll definitely work (in the uk/us at least) but what the fuck?

stop fucking about and write another 'still grey' please.
:scr1pt:

or back to you

or anything that sounds like it was written by musicians rather than machines.

my mate played me the latest pendulum tune last night all excited and it sounded so god damn awful and samey. what happened to the real instrument sound, instead of these horrific high pitched synths...
Back from the desert to stir things up a little :)
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

will they do this in Australia in December?
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

on second thoughts i think my problem is mostly with the tracks they're playing, not the format. i might enjoy:

- girl in the fire: with a longer intro and maybe some live acoustic guitar, that'd get me movin
- babylon rising: prolly never happen cos it's fresh as well, but imagine if they could program the fattened up worm break into the drum kit and the drummer could pull it off. that'd be farkin nuts. EDIT: with fats emceeing live plskthx
- another planet: could be more than a little insane.
- back to you: ditto.
Last edited by valuetime on Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Son

Post by Grey Son »

Bahhhhhh thats nasty shit!!
Is that drum and bass????? But they are doin well so i guess it sounds better then the engine of the forklift i drive at 3 in the morning.....
Well at least i will be the fattest guy on the street gettin a boat
HEY HEY HEY im gettin a boat!!!!
www.myspace.com/greysonsoul
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

I can see the freestylers new shows turning into this
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
Flash

Post by Flash »

agreed. Too much synth.
The vibe at the show looks pretty amazing, but listening to it from youtube sounds pretty shite.

they should have got a bigger band or something, it does seem a little too simple and poxy to be anything 'groundbreaking'

Having said that, i would be interested to see some of their better songs played live, and i would definatly go to this if it came down.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

What exactly are we commenting about here?

Cannot really see what's happening on stage, and the sound is pretty awful.... or was that the point?
RMHC

Post by RMHC »

that sounds like rock and or roll not drum and or bass
Lauer

Post by Lauer »

tiggus85 wrote:that sounds like rock and or roll not drum and or bass
Was thinking the same thing!

Would be awesome to see live no doubt about that, its early days and i think they could quite possibly turn this into something great. 'Fasten your seat belts' sounds alright
Last edited by Lauer on Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

Direktor wrote:What exactly are we commenting about here?

Cannot really see what's happening on stage, and the sound is pretty awful.... or was that the point?
have to agree with the old man on this ... i couldn't see shit and the only thing i could really hear was the sound of pingers being dropped simultaneously.
Lauer

Post by Lauer »

I think i heard a clang in fasten your seatbelts, wtf? They mixing stuff as well?
fikuss

Post by fikuss »

shepherd wrote:will they do this in Australia in December?
word on the grapevine is that all three are headed this way in dec. yes
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

shepherd wrote: the old man...
I love it! :lol:
gb

Post by gb »

They'd be better off enlisting the talents of Ben Walsh (drummer from The Bird), he's the human drum machine. Drums just don't cut it in these clips from what little I can hear.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

i'd rather not see ben walsh associated with this project in my opinion.. his style of live drum n bass the shit. pendulum's is more just shit if u ask me.
...................................................................................................................................................
gb

Post by gb »

andy_hoffman wrote:i'd rather not see ben walsh associated with this project in my opinion.. his style of live drum n bass the shit. pendulum's is more just shit if u ask me.
True that, he's got far too much cred...
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

gb wrote:
andy_hoffman wrote:i'd rather not see ben walsh associated with this project in my opinion.. his style of live drum n bass the shit. pendulum's is more just shit if u ask me.
True that, he's got far too much cred...
exactly!
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

i like this one of Fasten your Seatbelt :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPhnjUV4 ... ed&search=

could you see it coming? surprised i didn't hear it while watching Bathurst :lol:
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

yeah, the bird have way more cred than pendulum globally :roll:
gaz

Post by gaz »

cheese.
saintberry

Post by saintberry »

fasten your seatbelt has got to be one of my most hated songs. crazy frong include.

how do you think a show like this would be received in melbourne? Hard to tell really as they would attract a lot of people that dont usually go to dnb gigs.

its funny. once you get played on commercial radio the rest of the stuff you will ever produce is just shit. maybe its the taste of money. who knows. happened to plumps and freestyles…

not that ive been to the uk but from what i can gather dnb is a rather mainstream scene over there. hence why when internationals come out here they just play prodigy remixes and think its going to go down a treat.
First you get her name. Then you get her number. Then you get some get some in the back seat of a hummer!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I seriously wonder, if they didn't have the poularity - would they be hated on so much?

I know that a lot of the sounds they use and very much the same these days -- but they are obivously selling records, and doing well for themselves.

Just amazes me the lack of support they seem to get from the 'heads' back home. Instead of the "not for me" attitude, they tend to cop a fair bit of flack for just doing what they do, and doing it well (weather you/we like it or not).

Having said that - they're not my cup of tea anymore due to everyone (producers) jumping on their (sound) bandwagon, and the fact that they do use similar sounds across different tracks - but good luck to them still, I don't HAVE to listen to them.
^Just my point of view...

Do peeps think that across the board, Pendulum have been bad for d'n'b - particularly in Australia?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

saintberry wrote: its funny. once you get played on commercial radio the rest of the stuff you will ever produce is just shit. maybe its the taste of money. who knows. happened to plumps and freestyles…
Maybe it's people attitudes....

Or maybe it the fact that they find a "winning formula" and don't wanna risk stepping outside of it.

Fans hate you for staying true to your sound just as much as they hate it when you change your signature sound. Can't keep all the people happy all the time eh?
saintberry

Post by saintberry »

well totally, its all interpretive. that said, its my interpretation they have gone shit. not that i ever really liked much of their stuff, but i could put up with it at least.
First you get her name. Then you get her number. Then you get some get some in the back seat of a hummer!
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

Direktor wrote: and the fact that they do use similar sounds across different tracks
Its funny because is most other genres using them same sounds across tracks is quite usual common. Take for example Nirvana most of thier rockier songs were a guitar/bass/drums , and in most of thier songs these 3 elements stay quite similar but the songs arangements/chords etc etc were different and they weren't really hated on by rock fans for "using the same sounds"

I guess most D+B fans expect something a bit more prrogressive form the genre, ad that means different sound over different tunes by the same producers.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

^ Fully man.... I guess the whole beauty of electronic music is that the sounds you can come up with are endless. It's more the format that stays the same - rather than the sounds, as opposed by rock music.

Interesting point.

*edit: spelling
Last edited by Direkt on Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fents

Post by Fents »

Pendulum have been FANTASTIC for DnB as a whole, like their stuff or not. Got loads more peeps into DnB...then those peeps can find their own sound if they like.

I've loved their stuff so far, dancefloor smashers and 50-70% of people will dance to it.

But i cant help but imagine what would of happen if they hadnt signed to BBK label and kept making Vaults, Back2Yous and Still greys...

There trying somthing new, they will sort it out its early days, and London Elec do it well, Shapeshifter do it wikkid, Reprazent did it sensational, so who knows they may come together....
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Citizen Smif wrote: My opinion..

It's nothing to do with being popular really.
I reckon it is with some chin-strokers though mate. It has been with me in the past, I can only assume it's the same with others. Eg: when I was a massive Nirvana fan, Kurt kills himself - and all of a sudden everyone's all Nirvana - turned me off them a little, as silly as it seems.
Citizen Smif wrote: It's shit music, the production values are untouchable.
But who really gives a toss about mixdowns & production.
When the ideas are so cheesy, personally I cant deal with the same old stomping drums. It's just tired.
Fair enough mate - makes perfect sense. Personally, I am interested in the production these guys put out (ie. the way they make things sound more so than the writing), but I completely agree that the essense of a good tune is in the writing, not the polishing.... that's just the icing on the cake really.
pitch helix

Post by pitch helix »

hehe
Last edited by pitch helix on Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it's the most beautiful ugly sound in the world
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

shepherd wrote:yeah, the bird have way more cred than pendulum globally :roll:
i dont remember saying globally... the bird have alot of cred here and i'm sure they'd lose some of it if such a thing happened.
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

andy_hoffman wrote:
shepherd wrote:yeah, the bird have way more cred than pendulum globally :roll:
i dont remember saying globally... the bird have alot of cred here and i'm sure they'd lose some of it if such a thing happened.
I don't particularily understand this statement, how would displaying your kick arse drumming skills with pendulum live decrease your cred with your fans?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Fents wrote:Pendulum have been FANTASTIC for DnB as a whole, like their stuff or not. Got loads more peeps into DnB...then those peeps can find their own sound if they like.

I've loved their stuff so far, dancefloor smashers and 50-70% of people will dance to it.

But i cant help but imagine what would of happen if they hadnt signed to BBK label and kept making Vaults, Back2Yous and Still greys...

There trying somthing new, they will sort it out its early days, and London Elec do it well, Shapeshifter do it wikkid, Reprazent did it sensational, so who knows they may come together....
:scr1pt: to all points
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

well i think pendulum and the bird have a different type of fan base out there. i think the bird flavour is far from the pendulum commercial type flavour of drum n bass and it would kind of be like lars from metallica playing drums for justin timberlake.. maybe..
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

andy_hoffman wrote:well i think pendulum and the bird have a different type of fan base out there. i think the bird flavour is far from the pendulum commercial type flavour of drum n bass and it would kind of be like lars from metallica playing drums for justin timberlake.. maybe..
Bad point to illustrate there when Metallica supposedly sold-out years ago (especially Lars IMO)....

Timberlake probably has more cred than Metallica these days! Big call, I know.
Grey Son

Post by Grey Son »

SEXY BACK or STFU
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

yeah bad example.. lets say danny carey from tool playin drums for the black eyed peas who have completely sold out.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

andy_hoffman wrote:yeah bad example.. lets say danny carey from tool playin drums for the black eyed peas who have completely sold out.
:D

PS: GreySon: cannot stand that Sexy Back track.... Hate the FX on the vocals, and pretty much the whole tune. Who produced it, Pharrel or Timbaland???
Grey Son

Post by Grey Son »

Direktor wrote:
andy_hoffman wrote:yeah bad example.. lets say danny carey from tool playin drums for the black eyed peas who have completely sold out.
:D

PS: GreySon: cannot stand that Sexy Back track.... Hate the FX on the vocals, and pretty much the whole tune. Who produced it, Pharrel or Timbaland???
I think its Timbs, not to sure but sounds like his style..
Not keen on it all but i wanted to add something to the argument!!
:wink:

What is a sexy back anyway, if it means hairy then im in!!
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

yeah but we aren't talking about him joining Pendulum, just playing live.

If Danny Carey played live drums for the B.E.P, Britney spears who ever and did a fantastic job, brought something to it, took the cash and went home, after that if any Tool fan stopped listening to/ respecting Tool they are obviously more interested in the bands image than the bands music. That is is Tool's music didn't suffer from the experience.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

i think tool's image is a HUGE amount of what tool are and i'm just saying that i'd lose a bit of respect for danny carey if he did such a thing. luckily i know he wouldn't.
saintberry

Post by saintberry »

jazzy jeff did a track with the black eyed peas. but that dude has cred to burn....

as did justin timberlake who teamed up with dj premier to do another BEP track.

there are some people can do such wrongs but you cant help to still love em.

in fact its really not that bad in the scheme of things.
lynt

Post by lynt »

Or RATM (ex. Zack) playing with Chris Cornell. :cry:

WHY BOYS WHY!@!!1
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Hatsudai wrote: If Danny Carey played live drums for the B.E.P, Britney spears who ever and did a fantastic job, brought something to it, took the cash and went home, after that if any Tool fan stopped listening to/ respecting Tool they are obviously more interested in the bands image than the bands music. That is is Tool's music didn't suffer from the experience.
I'm enjoying this discussion! Great point!

LYNT: Full-on mate. Although there's not much irreputable in that lineup. RATM were the fucking bizness... as were Soundgarden, but more so RATM for me... So gutted I never got to see them live... :cry:
Last edited by Direkt on Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

andy_hoffman wrote:i think tool's image is a HUGE amount of what tool are
yeah I suppose Tool in particular are a band whose fanbase respects them for thier political/social views.

But realistically that's a bit shallow on the fans befalf isn't it?

I'm just up for an argue today :)
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

lynt wrote:

WHY BOYS WHY!@!!1
Tahts a little diff cos they joined forces permentantly and creatively. Chris cornel didn't just join them for a tour.

Also I think a live session drummer is a bit diff to the impact on a band that a frontman with as much presence as CC

(not to offend any drummers in the room!)
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

Hatsudai wrote:
andy_hoffman wrote:i think tool's image is a HUGE amount of what tool are
yeah I suppose Tool in particular are a band whose fanbase respects them for thier political/social views.

But realistically that's a bit shallow on the fans befalf isn't it?

I'm just up for an argue today :)
nothin wrong with bein a shallow tool fan

:teef:
lynt

Post by lynt »

Hatsudai wrote:
lynt wrote:

WHY BOYS WHY!@!!1
Tahts a little diff cos they joined forces permentantly and creatively. Chris cornel didn't just join them for a tour.

Also I think a live session drummer is a bit diff to the impact on a band that a frontman with as much presence as CC

(not to offend any drummers in the room!)
Those 3 band members always held tight chemistry, they inc. Zack, were RATM.

Now, they hold tight spandex and wave at ladies.

I know what you're saying. I'm just sad.