M-Audio Firewire Audiophile for Sale!

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
Scholtzy

M-Audio Firewire Audiophile for Sale!

Post by Scholtzy »

Hey guys, I've just put my sound card on ebay, had it for less than a month, selling because there is a driver issue with it and my G5,..which seems to apply to my particular model (dualcore 2.3). Its in mint conditon, im starting the bids at $150 (retail is $499). For Mac & PC.

Check it out HERE!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Shouldn't be a driver issue with your G5 dude.

Have you downloaded the latest drivers?

Is it a PCI voltage problem with your G5 or a driver problem?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Oops, my bad - didn't read the subject title properly :oops:

If it's Firewire, then there really shouldn't be any drama's. Not that we're aware of anyway...

Latest driver updates:
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.drivers
Scholtzy

Post by Scholtzy »

Got all the latest drivers for it, reinstalled it and all the biz. There is no way I can justify reloading the OS tho. Im running Tiger as well, so everything is the latest.

Ever since I got the thing it acted strange, basically whenever I ran Quicktime / Reason / Ableton I would get between 15mins to an hour and the computer would either freeze (and the fans would go on at full power, making it sound like a 747 taking off), or this grey screen would come down saying "you must restart your computer" in several different languages, the later happening most of the time. After reading around a bit it seems that there are a few people running m-audio cards on macs that are having problems....the term 'kernel panic' came up a fair bit...sounds scary haha.

Unplugged it and spent all yesterday working on tunes and had absolutely no issues at all...so the card is definatly to blame. I had a PCI audiophile in my old PC and it was brilliant, but as far as Macs go I cant see myself buying another m-audio soundcard for a Mac in a long time.

Think im going to get a digidesign mbox to replace this one.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

kernel panics are rad.
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
Scholtzy

Post by Scholtzy »

The first time I read 'kernel panic' on the error report this image came to mind :lol:

Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

they should use that instead of all the monkey language. huhuh
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
Shadowgames

Post by Shadowgames »

niiice. so what are you going to replace it with?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

^ Digidesign MBox apparently.
saintberry

Post by saintberry »

Solid as a rock!

First you get her name. Then you get her number. Then you get some get some in the back seat of a hummer!
saintberry

Post by saintberry »

Direktor wrote:^ Digidesign MBox apparently.
whats the deal with these. both version 1 and version 2 are USB and only sample upto 48k yet cost like 750 bucks. are they just way quality?
First you get her name. Then you get her number. Then you get some get some in the back seat of a hummer!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

^ Got a good name I guess.

This first MBox had Focusrite pre's onboard, which is pretty special. I don't think MBox 2 does though (correct me if I'm wrong) - and of course it comes bundles with Pro Tools LE.
Other than that - nothing special really.... but a pretty reliable unit from what I gather.

MAUDIO MAUDIO MAUDIO
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

I have the same issues with my firewire audiophile - not as bad but still a pain...
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Citizen Smif wrote:
Direktor wrote:MAUDIO MAUDIO MAUDIO
:smt044
Thought you might like that mate :lol:
Scholtzy

Post by Scholtzy »

The reason im looking at an mbox is that it would be nice to be able to run pro-tools. But I dont really need to I spose, anyone got any recomendations, I want one thats good but not uber expensive.
Scholtzy

Post by Scholtzy »

and not m-audio :teef:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Scholtzy wrote:and not m-audio :teef:
If that's a teef, as in tongue-in-cheek, there is Pro Tools M-Powered, from what I've been told it has better converters than its LE counterpart - but this is just heresay from the boys @ Mixdown.

Unless you require protability or are laptop based - go PCI.
saintberry

Post by saintberry »

M-audio is part of avid these days. So its either digidesign or them if yo want pro tools (as far as im aware?)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Digidesign is also a part of Avid, as is Evolution and a tonne of other companies.... or, was that your point?
Scholtzy

Post by Scholtzy »

Direktor wrote:
Scholtzy wrote:and not m-audio :teef:
If that's a teef, as in tongue-in-cheek, there is Pro Tools M-Powered, from what I've been told it has better converters than its LE counterpart - but this is just heresay from the boys @ Mixdown.

Unless you require protability or are laptop based - go PCI.
I know, one of the reasons I got the m audio card in the first place was so I could run m powered in the future ;)

Its not that m audio is crap, its thier drivers for mac dont seem to be that great.

My G5 doesnt have PCI slots, only PCIe so its going to have to be external.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Furry muff mate
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

Scholtzy wrote: Its not that m audio is crap, its thier drivers for mac dont seem to be that great.
:lol: really ... i have always thought m-audio was crap

but that is pretty unsubstiated except for what i have read on the net

Mark of the Unicorn :wink:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

LuKo wrote:
Scholtzy wrote: Its not that m audio is crap, its thier drivers for mac dont seem to be that great.
:lol: really ... i have always thought m-audio was crap

but that is pretty unsubstiated except for what i have read on the net

Mark of the Unicorn :wink:
So what do you use mate? Pro Tools HD?
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

No he's got a motu soundcard, which is good (9/10), but abit pricey. M Audio (8/10) which is still good, but nowhere near the price. It would come down to bang for bucks hey ?
Easy @ Word - 23rd May Opening Night, every saturday
Everything You Want - Fridays @ Lounge Downstairs
OldSkool Hip Hop and Funk - Saturdays @ Red Violin
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

you get what you pay for.

M-audio seems competitive for the price point...

theres no point bashing it
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Snowie wrote:No he's got a motu soundcard, which is good (9/10), but abit pricey. M Audio (8/10) which is still good, but nowhere near the price. It would come down to bang for bucks hey ?
Very nice!
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

FoundationStepper wrote:you get what you pay for.

v.true

I think at that price range the only thing that could go wrong for you is perhaps recording? as far as i know the quality in soundcards mainly comes down to the quality of the mic pres in each of them and the amount

for instance my traveller Vs the above mentioned m-audio card just playing your tunes from daw to speakers - there would be no difference, or well hardly any (not too sure, this is what i am led to believe)

however say i record a vocalist thru my motu and you record a vocalist thru the m-audio, I am led to believe there is a significant difference in quality.

so for the bedroom producer the m-audio cuts the mustard fine 8)

If we wanna talk bang for buck you cant look past the Motu Ultarlite, if that had of been out when i was buying i woulda grabbed that over the traveller anyday, sooo much cheaper and basically the same spec's just less 2 mic pres. Spewing on that it was literally months after I had bought mine they bring out the stripped back cheaper version!

Direktor as iff theres enuff brain power over here to operate Pro Tools :lol: I just get by with the easiest softeware on teh market ...Unableton
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

LuKo wrote:
FoundationStepper wrote:you get what you pay for.

v.true

I think at that price range the only thing that could go wrong for you is perhaps recording? as far as i know the quality in soundcards mainly comes down to the quality of the mic pres in each of them and the amount

for instance my traveller Vs the above mentioned m-audio card just playing your tunes from daw to speakers - there would be no difference, or well hardly any (not too sure, this is what i am led to believe)
however say i record a vocalist thru my motu and you record a vocalist thru the m-audio, I am led to believe there is a significant difference in quality.

so for the bedroom producer the m-audio cuts the mustard fine 8)

If we wanna talk bang for buck you cant look past the Motu Ultarlite, if that had of been out when i was buying i woulda grabbed that over the traveller anyday, sooo much cheaper and basically the same spec's just less 2 mic pres. Spewing on that it was literally months after I had bought mine they bring out the stripped back cheaper version!

Direktor as iff theres enuff brain power over here to operate Pro Tools :lol: I just get by with the easiest softeware on teh market ...Unableton
Tools HD is hardware my brother.

In regards to mic pre's etc, if you want really good mic pre's - you would use an external source, such as a Focusrite Liquid Channel or ISA428 or an Avalon etc.
The M-Audio 24/96 Audiophile doesn't have mic pre's, nor phantom power for that matter - which means dynamic mic's only, which means a poorer quality recording.
Having said that though - if you were to run a mic through an ISA428 into a Delta Audiophile PCI, it would 'outperform' your Motu.

Horses for courses. But I doubt you'll find studio's using onboard mic pre's.
JoyRiderz

Post by JoyRiderz »

saintberry wrote:
whats the deal with these. both version 1 and version 2 are USB and only sample upto 48k yet cost like 750 bucks. are they just way quality?
Direktor wrote:^ Got a good name I guess.

This first MBox had Focusrite pre's onboard, which is pretty special. I don't think MBox 2 does though (correct me if I'm wrong) - and of course it comes bundles with Pro Tools LE.
Other than that - nothing special really.... but a pretty reliable unit from what I gather.

MAUDIO MAUDIO MAUDIO
check out the new MBox Pro - its got FW, 96k, 2 mic pre's, 2 di inputs, 6 outputs & more. its gonna be available in Aus in a few weeks.

http://www.awave.com.au/product_info.ph ... aa2e17119c
http://www.myspace.com/joyriderz1
=========================
Australian Breakbreat Community
http://www.llupa.com/abc.swf
=========================
Planet Awave - Music is art. Technology is the tool
http://www.awave.com.au
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

Direktor wrote:
Tools HD is hardware my brother.

In regards to mic pre's etc, if you want really good mic pre's - you would use an external source, such as a Focusrite Liquid Channel or ISA428 or an Avalon etc.
The M-Audio 24/96 Audiophile doesn't have mic pre's, nor phantom power for that matter - which means dynamic mic's only, which means a poorer quality recording.
Having said that though - if you were to run a mic through an ISA428 into a Delta Audiophile PCI, it would 'outperform' your Motu.

Horses for courses. But I doubt you'll find studio's using onboard mic pre's.
Ok I have never had anything to do with Pro Tools ..ever! I had imagined HD to be protools with some sort of its own hardware / harddrive???

I didnt exactly buy the traveller for the pres anyway, it was more about ins/outs ;) which at first i didnt think i would need but now its become a must

and as far as vocal tracking i recently picked up a focusrite TT pro, so i run that into the motu?? i figured that would give me good enuff results??

:D
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Sounds like you've got yourself a nice setup LuKo!
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

you'd know better than me ;) being you guys distribute the stuff :D

and being a vocalist / spitter, probably know alot more about recording vocals than i!

I have only really done it proper once, and was really happy with the results tho

OK so this isnt helping scholtzy sell his gear, I should have kept my smart aleck comment to myself ;) sometimes its hard to resist tho :)

but yeah i think the conclusion is m-audio is great, and I know this cause i know people with m-audio cards that make heaps better tunes than me! like snowie ;) !

so i think it comes back to the "its what you know - not what you got: ;)

I really do belive that ^
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

LuKo wrote:
so i think it comes back to the "its what you know - not what you got: ;)

I really do belive that ^
Bloody oath mate. I so need to learn how to EQ properly - I suck! One step at a time though I suppose....
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

yeah i know the feeling, the amount of material i have read on eq and compression is depressing, considering I think its my techniques with these two that are killing my mixes :(

I've all but stopped compressing stuff unless its really asking for it, alot of guys i speak to who have had tunes released - say no to compression, especially on the kick..if you can believe THAT!