R.I.P. Mitch Mitchell

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Direkt

R.I.P. Mitch Mitchell

Post by Direkt »

The last living member of the Jimi Hendrix Experience is gone... :(

Ride those cymbals in heaven Mitch.

Mitch Mitchell, drummer for the legendary Jimi Hendrix Experience of the 1960s and the group's last surviving member, was found dead in his US hotel room early today. He was 61.

Mitchell, a native of England, was a powerful force on Are You Experienced?, the 1967 debut album of the Hendrix band. He had an explosive drumming style that can be heard in hard-charging songs such as Fire and Manic Depression.

The Englishman had been drumming for the Experience Hendrix Tour, which performed on Friday in Portland. It was the last stop on the West Coast part of the tour.

Hendrix died in 1970. Noel Redding, bass player for the trio, died in 2003.

An employee at Portland's Benson Hotel called police after discovering Mitchell's body.

Erin Patrick, a deputy medical examiner, said Mitchell apparently died of natural causes. An autopsy was planned.

Bob Merlis, a spokesman for the tour, said Mitchell had stayed in Portland for a four-day holiday and had planned to leave today.

"It was a devastating surprise," Merlis said. "Nobody drummed like he did."

He said he saw Mitchell perform two weeks ago in Los Angeles, and the drummer appeared to be healthy and upbeat.

Merlis said the tour was designed to bring together veteran musicians who had known Hendrix - like Mitchell - and younger artists, such as Grammy-nominated winner Jonny Lang, who have been influenced by him.

Mitchell was a one-of-a-kind drummer whose "jazz-tinged" style was a vital part of both the Jimi Hendrix Experience and the Experience Hendrix Tour that ended last week, Merlis said. "If Jimi Hendrix were still alive," Merlis said, "he would have acknowledged that."

Mitchell played for numerous other bands but was best known for his work in the Jimi Hendrix Experience, which was inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame in 1992.

According to the Hall of Fame, he was born July 9, 1947, in Ealing, England.

Hendrix, Redding and Mitchell held their first rehearsal in October 1966, according to the Hall of Fame's website.

In an interview last month with the Boston Herald, Mitchell said he met Hendrix "in this sleazy little club."

"We did some Chuck Berry and took it from there," Mitchell told the newspaper. "I suppose it worked."

obliveus

Re: R.I.P. Mitch Mitchell

Post by obliveus »

:lighter: x 2000

Still one of my all-time favorite drummers. Spanish Castle Magic FFS!!!

:(
on tour

Post by on tour »

Word to that Obliveus...

If anyone has any of his music then have a listen to pay hommage... i am.
We will chant with robes on you will learn...
Brain

Post by Brain »

One of the few mere mortals who could keep up with Hendrix.

Machine Gun FTW!
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

mad drummer. RIP.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

shit :(

This is really weird. I haven't heard any JHE for ages, I mean years. Yesterday I noticed Are You Experienced in my sister's car and whacked it in. Now I find out Mitch fucking died :shock:
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Sad innit. Pretty good innings though.

How good are 3 piece rock bands. Theres no free loaders or arrogant lead vocalist.

Jaded much. I'm gonna find a bar with some music in the jukebox by the Experience.
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

:lighter:

A true music legend.

A very sad day indeed
Easy @ Word - 23rd May Opening Night, every saturday
Everything You Want - Fridays @ Lounge Downstairs
OldSkool Hip Hop and Funk - Saturdays @ Red Violin
www.myspace.com/djsnowie