HD Audio Hotfix for XP 32 SP3

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
mrj

HD Audio Hotfix for XP 32 SP3

Post by mrj »

Okaaaaaay

So I downgraded to XP on the weekend (so far a very good move).

However. The fucker doesn't support HD Audio (thanks MS) and apparently you need to download the fix (KB888111) which I have done.

Then you need to install it.

However if you are on Service Pack 3 (which I am) the bugger won't let you install because it says the KB888111 file pre dates the service pack you have (why Microsoft did not include it in SP3 I can't fucking work out)

So

Apparently if I go to Device Manager and install the driver manually by finding the PCI device and mapping to the KB888111 file it should be fine and I can then install my sound driver

The problem is I'm not a tech head and once we hit the Device Manager stage I get quite confused and unsure.

Anyone had any experience with this problem and going through the process of fixing
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

PANIC!
Don't hate me for house
*catalyst

Post by *catalyst »

"Anybody want some motherfucking Earl Grey?" -Cleveland
mrj

Post by mrj »

yep, already read through that, its the one that put me on to the fix.

I'm not smart enough to follow their instructions properly though.
*catalyst

Post by *catalyst »

Ok, so if you can't follow those instructions then perhaps running an unreleased service pack isnt for you?

I'm not trying to sound rude but my suggestion is to re-install Windows XP with the fully released and shipping Service Pack 2.

Currently MS lists the XP SP3 as 'release candidate' which according to them :
This pre-release software is provided for testing purposes only. Microsoft does not recommend installing this software on primary or mission critical systems. Microsoft recommends that you have a backup of your data prior to installing any pre-release software.
mrj

Post by mrj »

a friend (who is pretty tech savy) installed this XP for me, it came with the SP 3 thingajig.

lol don't worry, you didn't sound rude.

I can follow the instructions fine, its just when I get into the Device Manager it asks me which hardware do I want to install the driver for I get a bit confused, as I can't find the sound card anywhere.

this is the part I need help with (and a part they don't explain in the instructions)
*catalyst

Post by *catalyst »

Ok, can you see any devies in there with a yellow question mark?

You have to install the HD Audio bus first I think, which is what the hotfix addresses.

If you get a 'properties' style page up from the yellow question mark you should be able to install a driver for it, this is where you would point it to where you've extracted the zip file on the aforementioned page.

After all thats done, I'd restart.

Then install the soundcard drivers for your soundcard/motherboard as usual.
mrj

Post by mrj »

yep, found the PCI device with the question mark yesterday when I was playing with it.

found some more detailed instructions on the web and think it should be ok. just wasn't sure what device to select when prompted by the installer wizard, but have covered that off now

Cheers for taking the time to help, you def pointed me in right direction.

Will have a crack at it when I get home tonight, heres hoping I have Audio.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

jbs wrote:PANIC!
DON'T

(got towel?)
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
mrj

Post by mrj »

Problem solved.

Wasn't that hard, although they skipped the fact that you had to extract all elements of the kb888111 file and only install the hdaudbus.inf file from the common files folder.

we now have audio though. w000t.

when I get some time I might post up a detailed fix for anyone else who might run into this problem.
mrj

Post by mrj »

Ok, heres the complete fix for anyone who is as stupid as me and needs the gaps filled in.

1 - Download the kb888111xpsp2 rar file from somewhere on the net. Should be in a few places.

2 extract to a folder somewhere. Then extract the kb888111.exe file so that its various components are laid out.

3 - Go to device manager. Under PCI devices there will be a yellow question mark. Right click and it will bring up a dilaogue box, in which select update/install driver.

4 - Select navigating to location yourself.

5 - It will prompt you to select which device. Select sound / game controllers.

6 - It will ask you what the manufacturer is, ignore this. Instead click on the "Have Disk" box and then browse to the previously extracted kb888111 components. There should be a folder called common files. Under this there is 2 .inf files (hdaudbus and hdaud). Select the hdaudbus file and then proceed to install.

7 - I've heard the actual install can take as much as 5 minutes, but it only took a couple of seconds for me. Restart your computer. Install your audio driver. Restart again.

8 - Hey presto you should have sound.