The Travel Thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
witty_pseudonym

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by witty_pseudonym »

Have booked flights from KL to Siem Reap and have reservation at a mad looking little hotel/hostel place. Free 24 hour bananas!! :lol:

Will wing it from there, but probs easier to have somewhere to go to on the first night.

Cannae fecking WAIT!!!
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

witty_pseudonym wrote:Have booked flights from KL to Siem Reap and have reservation at a mad looking little hotel/hostel place. Free 24 hour bananas!! :lol:

Will wing it from there, but probs easier to have somewhere to go to on the first night.

Cannae fecking WAIT!!!
Wikkid.
gnat

Post by gnat »

siem reap is awesome. has such a relaxed almost coastal vibe for a landlocked city that has suffered horrific genocide and poverty

would highly rec the same places i told bo
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
witty_pseudonym

^^ just noticed that you recommended Golden Temple Villa - that's where we've booked. Looks wicked and keep getting lovely emails form the manager.

Bring it!! Will check your recs again closer to the time re the temples etc. 'citing!
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Temples are awesome. Cambodia is an amzing destination. Like Gnat said, lots of strife in recent memory but people are positiviely getting on with life. would hit again.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

nice one tash!

still my favorite country to visit. hands down.
quick

Post by quick »

witty_pseudonym wrote:Have booked flights from KL to Siem Reap and have reservation at a mad looking little hotel/hostel place. Free 24 hour bananas!! :lol:

Cannae fecking WAIT!!!
when u gonna be there? I will be around mid march to mid may... doing the south east asia thing...
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
witty_pseudonym

Will be in SR around the 10th of June, then going across to Vietnam after that until 25th June.
Might catch you in Viet praps?
quick

Post by quick »

witty_pseudonym wrote:Will be in SR around the 10th of June, then going across to Vietnam after that until 25th June.
Might catch you in Viet praps?
no, i go home from south east asia mid may for my bday, the 2 weeks later i fly to europe... doh... I will see u back in Melb tho in May i'm sure
witty_pseudonym

You will indeed Squirr! :D
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Was talking with my mates last night about organising a boys trip to SE Asia.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Blaxter wrote:Was talking with my mates last night about organising a boys trip to SE Asia.
to bring back wives?

:teef:
deviant

Post by deviant »

no, to bring back boys

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

ah, my mistake

;)
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

You guys are fucked. lol
Bringing back rugs.
nic

Post by nic »

rugs in boys
OM NOM NOM
witty_pseudonym

Air Asia having a ridiculous sale until the 7th.
srsly wtf styles

Melb to KL from $70.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

$270 return from Cambodia???
almax

Post by almax »

Ok so i need some advice on best way to travel around Spain and Portugal, anyone been there recently?
We are flying into Paris on the 15th July, then thinking to get to San Sebastian then Barcelona then head down the east coast, possibly head over to an island, then back down the coast to Tarifa/Seville way, there is a bunch of other towns we want to see including Ronda, Malaga, Granda and Vallencia.
From there across to Lagos in Portugal and up the coast to Lisbon and Sintra then probably over to London.
Any suggestions, hints tips etc most welcome.
quick

Post by quick »

Hey Al, Spain is exe to travel around, train aint the cheapest and flying isn't much cheaper... if you book real early, which is annoying, you'll get better rates, not like flights from UK to the rest of Europe... cheaper to fly internationally actually, stoopid. Anyway, bus is cheapest option by far, but if time limits you, flying if you can book at least a week in advance... You must go too Sevilla, awesome town, i liked it more than Barca, the women are ridiculous there and the vibe on the street is brilliant. I was only there for 2 weeks but flew every where cos it was cheaper than train... great place tho, love to go to Portugal, locals are supposed to be so friendly...
spiral

Post by spiral »

heading to Copenhagen later this year
nic

Post by nic »

xomg teh girls will make u fall over b2b w/mission to kristiania for hash and a felafel
awesome city, go in summer and buy / steal a bike straight away and you are set.
quick

Post by quick »

spiral wrote:heading to Copenhagen later this year
I'll be around there later this year as well...
elysium

Post by elysium »

I may be as well, come summer :D
I'm in a loop, I am the loop...
spiral

Post by spiral »

stealing bikes - nice
quick

Post by quick »

I know there are tons of peeps on here that have done South East Asia, I go there for 2 months on Saturday... can you guys give a few awesome hostels you stayed in if possible... love a good party hostel with bar and kitchen if possible... larger the better as well... meet more peeps that way.
Cheers
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

there is a lot of places in SE Asia mister! Whats your vague itinerary?

for party hostels you wanna go to Laos or Thailand tbh. ;)
gnat

Post by gnat »

in bangers anywhere in the horrendous kho san rd vicinity will provide you with many ladyboy lols and all night parties charged by diet pills. would avoid like the plague personally and go for rambuttri nearby but up to you quick..

koh samui- the entirity of chaweng is pretty busy wtih tonnes of tourists about

kho phangan- there's sooo many places near the jetty stretching around both sides of the island. full moon horror. come down will make you suicidal but it's fun at the time

cambodia is total win. again, golden temple in siem reap is a good place for meeting peeps and has sweet meal deals. bbq'ed spiders and partially fertilised eggs avail 24/7. and cheap beer.

bright lotus in phnom penh

hmm...
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

leaving for the US tomorrow. Hoping for an upgrade!
quick

Post by quick »

Thanks Nat, only going north Thailand, already done islands... and I've never stayed in Khao San so need to do it once, and i know how skank it is, but so was alot of Colombia, lol

Plus, I am really after some cool hostel names anywhere in Thailand, Loas, Cambodia, Vietnam, even if you remember one town and the cool hostel you stayed at, that would be awesome, not just locations... anyone?

Thanks again...
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Anyone got any recommendations for British Columbia, Canada?

Will be living in Whistler for 6-9 months, so snowboarding already gets the big tick... Going to visit Vancouver Island and check out some Orcas... looking for other places to visit/things to do (in BC... already visiting cousin in SF, mates in Vail and Tahoe etc).

Need to keep it Lo-Cal; I need to be on western standard time so I can be contacted by workmates and clients in Australia without too many dramas.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
quick

Post by quick »

met many a cool person from Victoria, supposed to be beautiful there, and everyone from there loves it sooo... and go somewhere for white water rafting, apparently some of the best up there
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

there's rapids along the Yarra? :shock:

C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

quick wrote:met many a cool person from Victoria, supposed to be beautiful there, and everyone from there loves it sooo... and go somewhere for white water rafting, apparently some of the best up there
That's an awesome idea Quickster :)

White river rafting floats my boat!!! Lol.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
retzie

Post by retzie »

C.I.A. wrote:Going to visit Vancouver Island and check out some Orcas...
If you're already on the Island, Cowichan Bay is very pretty. Places that were recommended to me (but I ran out of time for): Tofino and Salt Spring Island. Also, sushi everywhere in the area is :drooooool: :D
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

didn't get an upgrade but premium economy on V delivers bigtime. Very comfortable.

Now sitting in room at Roosevelt watching in amazement at what is considered food over here! Some crazy burger ads!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

I miss America.

Everything is larger than life.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

everything OR everyone?

food is definitely larger than most things!

pondering in-n-out burger tonight
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Everything AND Everyone.

big cars, big bootay, big opinions, big cities, big highways, big crime n art n culture all jammed up against itself.

in-n-out is an institution - do it Ben!

i miss reeces and ice teas and southern fried steak and endless coffee and sandwiches the size of texas.

ahhhhh....will always be a yankee at heart, even if I live here forever.
nic

Post by nic »

americans do proper sandwiches tbh
10 million fillings, properly made
none of this 'panini' euro rubbish with a bit of fetta and one sundried tomotae from a 1998 cook book by karen martini before she became obese
quick

Post by quick »

quick wrote:Thanks Nat, only going north Thailand, already done islands... and I've never stayed in Khao San so need to do it once, and i know how skank it is, but so was alot of Colombia, lol

Plus, I am really after some cool hostel names anywhere in Thailand, Loas, Cambodia, Vietnam, even if you remember one town and the cool hostel you stayed at, that would be awesome, not just locations... anyone?

Thanks again...
come on, some peeps on here HAVE to know a name or 2 of hostels in South East Asia!!! please?
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

retzie wrote:
If you're already on the Island, Cowichan Bay is very pretty. Places that were recommended to me (but I ran out of time for): Tofino and Salt Spring Island. Also, sushi everywhere in the area is :drooooool: :D
Sweet :D

Locking in some sea kayaking up Queen Catherine (?) Sound... apparently this is an awesome way to meet sea otters and other local wildlife. Will be watching the Bald Eagles in Pemberton and visiting the beaver colony I studied a few years ago w0000t!!!

Lol. Beavers.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

quick wrote:
quick wrote:Thanks Nat, only going north Thailand, already done islands... and I've never stayed in Khao San so need to do it once, and i know how skank it is, but so was alot of Colombia, lol

Thanks again...
come on, some peeps on here HAVE to know a name or 2 of hostels in South East Asia!!! please?
dude! your talking about multiple countries with a massive backpacker population!
just ask around when you get there as hostels change names often, and there is like 500 bamboo huts and golden temple hostels in those areas.

as gnat said - golden temple in siem reip in cambodia if your going to see angkor.
if your in phenom penh then go stay at one of the dives on the boeng kak lake if you want swedish girls and cheap food, also possibly some ghosts too.
in hanoi, north in vietnam there was around five places called the blue lotus, and i stayed at one of them and it was like all the other ones. it was naice. i like the french architecture and balcony.
in laos everyone drinks mushroom shakes and floats down the river on tubes, i havent done it but kronz and others have. massive day parties with backpackers drawing all over themselves. I cant imagine anything worse on holiday but if that floats your tube, im sure you can just ask anyone in the country where to go....and theyll know!
deviant

Post by deviant »

ghetto kitty wrote:swedish girls
:love10:
ghetto kitty wrote:mushroom shakes
:smt119 :color:
:love10:
ghetto kitty wrote: ...but if that floats your tube

:lol:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

do you think im speakin squirrel's language dan?

:lol:
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

OMG. One day I want to do this, probably more badly than anything else EVER. :smt007
gnat

Post by gnat »

LMAO GK. wtf squirrel?! i told you some names already- golden temple in siem reap, bright lotus in phnom penh- or the bodhi tree- lots of random bizzo goes on there afaik

less nuts, more 'shrooms imo