The Movie/Film/DVD thread...

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
apophenian

Re: The Movie/Film/DVD thread...

Post by apophenian »

Just borrowed the Andrei Tarkovsky Box set from a friend. Should keep me busy for a while...
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

Brain wrote:
dust wrote:I tried to watch Be Kind Rewind yesterday. For a film with two actors i love and made my a director I really like i thought it was awful and couldn't even watch till the end.

Shame!
Yes! One of the worst movies ever considering the talent involved.
I'm with you on that, it was unwatchable!

I watched Terminator Salvation yesterday after DL a half decent DVD rip, and thought it was ok.

Not mind-blowing though, just exhilirating.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

apophenian wrote:Just borrowed the Andrei Tarkovsky Box set from a friend. Should keep me busy for a while...
The only one of his I have seen in Solaris, and it was beautiful (great book too!)
Let us know which ones of his you enjoy.
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Saw The Hangover yesterday.

Had a lot of giggles, yeah, but stock standard yank obvious humor. Mike Tyson's appearance was rather amusing. :lol:

Wont be buying that dvd when released.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Lil MiSbreaks wrote:Saw The Hangover yesterday.

Had a lot of giggles, yeah, but stock standard yank obvious humor. Mike Tyson's appearance was rather amusing. :lol:

Wont be buying that dvd when released.
Adro wants to take me to the movies to see it but I think it's more a DVD rental kinda flick.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

Brain wrote: I especially liked the scene where Mifune wrestled the Wookiee :-)
Recently saw Kurosawa's Stray Dog, his 1949 film noir about Mifune as a detective trying to find his stolen gun. Great of course.
Heh-heh... missed recognizing the Wookie; I thought it was a weird looking bear.
And how cool is Stray Dog? Also a fave.
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

Polecat wrote:
apophenian wrote:Just borrowed the Andrei Tarkovsky Box set from a friend. Should keep me busy for a while...
The only one of his I have seen in Solaris, and it was beautiful (great book too!)
Let us know which ones of his you enjoy.

Stalker...
Amick

Post by Amick »

i'm thinking that whilst sick I might watch the Pirate of the Caribbean trilogy. Is it half decent?

Or is it more worthwhile to watch the Back to the Future trilogy again?
Expert Knob Twiddler

Post by Expert Knob Twiddler »

first one only. then STOP.
Amick

Post by Amick »

Expert Knob Twiddler wrote:first one only. then STOP.
thanks for saving 3 hours of my life...
mecka

Post by mecka »

Just finished watching Band of Brothers on blu-ray the other night... was awesome. Really well made and acted. Can't wait for The Pacific.

Also got around to seeing Black Hawk Down last night. Slick production but really its just a two hour gunfight.

Addicted to buying blu-ray...
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Amick wrote:I got True Romance on DVD today...looking forward to watching it.
Is that the one with Drew Barrymore?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

^ Christian Slater...

Saw 'Righteous Kill' last night. For those unaware, is a new (and straight?) to DVD starring De Niro and Pacino. Wow, never thought I'd see these two legends sharing the silver screen with 50 Cent, and this alone sums up the movie.

Pretty ordinary, terribly predictable and over all - it's passable, but nothing flash. I don't know if it was just my DVD, but the sync of lips to sound was completely out-of-wack in parts. Maybe my local Cockbuster are pirates?
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Seen. cheears Direkt. There was a shocking one with Drew Barrymore - round the time of all thsoe Tarntino style movies and rip offs - circa 1994/5
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

mecka wrote:Just finished watching Band of Brothers on blu-ray the other night... was awesome. Really well made and acted. Can't wait for The Pacific.

Also got around to seeing Black Hawk Down last night. Slick production but really its just a two hour gunfight.

one of the best series I have EVER seen. watched it a couple of times now and love it more everytime.

The pacific can't be too far away can it? They where making that in QLD two years ago weren't they?
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Band of Brothers is wicked, but the more times i see Black Hawk Down, the more it's apparent that it's just a gung-ho american groin-grab war-flick with more 'huhas' than should be heard anywhere outside of a military base.
youthful_implants

mecka wrote:Just finished watching Band of Brothers on blu-ray the other night... was awesome. Really well made and acted. Can't wait for The Pacific.

Black Hawk Down is a mad film. I love Ridley Scott though.
Strontium Music

apophenian

Post by apophenian »

I love early Ridley Scott, though Legend was pretty unwatchable. The films he made in the last decade or so have been pretty average imo...
youthful_implants

apophenian wrote:I love early Ridley Scott, though Legend was pretty unwatchable. The films he made in the last decade or so have been pretty average imo...
in the context of his earlier material I agree and think his newer stuff doens't compare so well. Less edgy, less tension etc.

I wouldn't say any of the films he's done are average though (except maybe GI Jane lol), and American Gangster kind of cemented his brilliance again.

Did you like that?
Strontium Music

apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Must admit I haven't seen it! Will check it out :)
youthful_implants

Its wicked!
Strontium Music

mrj

Post by mrj »

ghetto kitty wrote:"She Hate Me' a spike jonez fillum about a high flying financial whistle blower who gets fucked over by said company and ends up 'servicing' lesbians in the area to get em preggers. I thought this was gonna be real silly but it was actually quite cereal and had some poignant messages in there.

LOVED this one. one of my favorite spike films i tink....

4 out of 5.
spike lee actually Kitty, not spike jonez.

and I thought it sucked. the point about whistleblowers was i guess an ok one, but i dunno if it was a point worth making really. seemed tired and its treatment overblown.

as for the getting girls pregnant part, it struck me as on overly phallic way to make the main character seem powerful (especially the use of gay women as his partners), whilst using his downtrodden whistleblower status as some sort of argument for his moral purity.

I'm going to tip toe here. but think about how spike lee is trying to portray his main character. then think about some of the other characters and how they are portrayed. what do you think his message is.

I think I know what it is, and I think when it was made the message wasn't helpful, and its less so know. the world has moved on since and no longer needs the chest beatings of spike lee.

(having said that 25th hour was excellent)
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

:oops: i seem to always get it just that little bit wrong, that makes it oh so wrong hahaha
(spike lee then)

Well i have watched some boring arse tripe lately mrj, so i liked the quirkiness of this movie.

You do have a valid point, I guess I just didnt think of it like that while i was watching it. I guess i got caught up in it!
Amick

Post by Amick »

True Romance was ace...I love Dennis Hopper's speech about Sicilians and Moors.

Also watched OldBoy and No Country For Old Men. Both violent but really good.

Oh also saw The Hangover today, kinda not as funny as some people have suggested. Wait for it on DVD I reckon.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

^ I agreeance Amick - Hangover wasn't that good.

Twas ok - but not groundbreakingingly funny
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

Loving the Melbourne International Film Festival as usual....3rd yr of minipass ina row well worth it

So far seen 2 Japanese films, 'All Around Us' (dir Ryosuke Hashiguchi) and 'Still Walking" (dir/script/edited by Hirokazu Kore-Eda, one of my fav directors).
Beautiful slow moving commentaries on life; one about relationships and one about family and themes of dealing with death - really make you ponder. And great acting.

Next I'm seeing the Che double - part one and two, 130min each, both on Saturday. Starring Benicio Del Toro. Can't wait.

Others booked so far
Flame & Citron (Danish thriller)
Chocolate (Thai action comedy)

Also liked the sound of No One Knows About Persian Cats (about outlawed Indie rock in Iran) and of course Inglorious Basterds, and Moon, but all were sold out. At least the latter 2 should get general release soon. As is Coraline which looks to be a pretty impressive animation, got dual 4stars on the movie show last night.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Saw the Hangover last night and agree. Twas funny but not hilarious. Can't believe it's become one of the biggest opening weekend comedies or all time. Wait for DVD.

Did what happened to the car even come up when they got back to LA?
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
Amick

Post by Amick »

mixtress wrote:Saw the Hangover last night and agree. Twas funny but not hilarious. Can't believe it's become one of the biggest opening weekend comedies or all time. Wait for DVD.

Did what happened to the car even come up when they got back to LA?
No the father in law only said to the groom "What happens in Vegas..." but was referring to them being late and/or his sunburn. Kinda weird they made such a big deal about it the whole movie to no avail. *plot hole*?

Tried to watch Punisher 2 last night but fell asleep. From the first 20 minutes it looked to me like the male version of Lara Croft but with no adventure and more ways to kill people.

Can anyone recommend a really good Sonny Chiba and also Charles Bronson movie??? Their best work in your opinion. I feel an emptiness which perhaps these two can fill.
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Harry Potter tonight!
mecka

Post by mecka »

Got out to see Public Enemies last night with Hardy. I'm a massive Michael Mann fan.

PE was a little too long but incredibly well shot. There were one or two characters who were a little flat but beyond that it was well acted.

One big problem I had was with the audio at Melbourne Central. Maybe it was because we were off to the side but everything sounded a little muffled and I reckon I missed some of the whispered dialogue.

Watching Coraline at the moment - incredibly imaginative...

Also ordered Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series on bluray today from Amazon... $200 cheaper than its going to retail here for.
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

mecka wrote:Also ordered Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series on bluray today from Amazon... $200 cheaper than its going to retail here for.
Does it include Razor?
mecka

Post by mecka »

Yep
Expert Knob Twiddler

FoundationStepper wrote:
mecka wrote:Also ordered Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series on bluray today from Amazon... $200 cheaper than its going to retail here for.
Does it include Razor?

good question, good answer.
Expert Knob Twiddler

Amick wrote:
Expert Knob Twiddler wrote:first one only. then STOP.
thanks for saving 3 hours of my life...

no worries.........
Amick

Post by Amick »

mecka wrote:Got out to see Public Enemies last night with Hardy. I'm a massive Michael Mann fan.

PE was a little too long but incredibly well shot. There were one or two characters who were a little flat but beyond that it was well acted.

One big problem I had was with the audio at Melbourne Central. Maybe it was because we were off to the side but everything sounded a little muffled and I reckon I missed some of the whispered dialogue.

Sucks about the sound. Checking this out on Tuesday...can't wait.

Love a gangster flick.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Public Enemies was good. I didn't have huge expectations, but I enjoyed it.
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

mecka wrote:Yep
Ta, thinking about getting this one, too.
mecka

Post by mecka »

Well worth it... fortunately almost every Universal studios release is region free which makes importing from the States a viable option. I don't really buy BR locally anymore.
FoundationStepper

what sort of size screen are you viewing on?

our upgrade to hd is a while away yet, but battlestar on BR sounds like a great excuse! would love to see the exodus from new caprica in something better than an xvid!
mecka

Post by mecka »

40" Samsung LCD. We've got a fairly small living room and anything larger would be overkill.

The Galactica crashing through New Caprica's atmosphere is one of the greatest moments in scifi imo.
FoundationStepper

mecka wrote:The Galactica crashing through New Caprica's atmosphere is one of the greatest moments in scifi imo.
Yup!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Attempted to watch 'Six Degrees of Separation' on Saturday night.

What a shitter!

I guess it's trying to be a comedy for intellectuals or something??? Whatever, bored the arse out of us - had some terrible acting and I actually threw the DVD in the bin after 50mins or so.
Amick

Post by Amick »

Watched Along Came Polly which I thought was a thriller with Morgan Freeman but that movie is called Along Came The Spider.

So the movie I watched had douchebag Stiller and Jen Aniston and fuckin hell the movie was a piece of shit.

Avoid unless you want to be eye raped.
quick

Post by quick »

mecka wrote:40" Samsung LCD. We've got a fairly small living room and anything larger would be overkill.
i got the same size, but i don't know about over kill for bigger, even in a small room... if a 50" or 60" cost the same, i'd get it in a sec.
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

I watched a spanish film called 'Glue' on the weekend,
about teens growing up with not much else to do but sniff glue and explore their sexuality..
I liked it, had a real light touch...and kept cutting from regular to grainy, quite dreamscape -like...

3.5 out of five stars from kitten chopz
quick

Post by quick »

i should watch so i can practice my spanish some more... cheers cat face
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Body of lies.

Jesus man. :roll:

YAAAWWWNNN.

Fell asleep 30 min before the end and dont even care how it finished. Usually you at least want to end.

Not in this case, couldnt care less. :?

Only positive was the locations, Syria, Jordan, Turkey.... where I want to go next year.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Agreed, was pretty average
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

I watched The Midnight Meat Train the other night. Great horror movie if you're that way inclined. Written and produced by Clive Barker. Really well shot, and has Vinnie Jones as butcher. Fuck yes.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

i went and saw Wake in Fright at Cinema Nova on Friday night! What an amazing film. I've not read the book, but the film scared me. It's about a school teacher stuck in the outback. Great scenery in the outback. It is a digitally restored Aussie film from the 70's. Recommended. 4/5.

http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2590361.htm
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.