whats this pre planned mixing out shit

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
spin

Re: whats this pre planned mixing out shit

Post by spin »

ive had chaps spin out that i dont plan sets... if you come from a turtablist battle background its standard to plan routines...

to get pure vibes you need to read the crowd and find the freeform magic, selecta! not preset...

still get stuck mixing some songs together all the time.
ANYTHING:TEST
BOB DEEP
WOBBLE
REVOLVER
BLACK CAT
http://gutterhype.blogspot.com/
deviant

Post by deviant »

spin wrote:ive had chaps spin out that i dont plan sets... if you come from a turtablist battle background its standard to plan routines...

to get pure vibes you need to read the crowd and find the freeform magic, selecta! not preset...

still get stuck mixing some songs together all the time.
what he said
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Word.

We all know mixes that work well, but if you're mixing reading off a fucking cue sheet then you've missed the point.
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

gay tbh.

should get a job as a pharmacist or something.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
aroes

Post by aroes »

ac23 wrote:i saw another dnb dude recently with a peice of paper next to the decks....
name and shame
spin

Post by spin »

altho i have been getting trapped by the mixed in key program, only on serato for revolver type sets, love harmonic mixing so now my tunes are ordered by key, i sometimes feel a bit weird playing songs thats are not in key, also fun to jump 7 notes up the scale and do a power chord mix! im sure i will find a balance soon... embrace technology.
BOB DEEP
WOBBLE
REVOLVER
BLACK CAT
marcus

Post by marcus »

^^ I find Mixed in Key can be a bit inaccurate at times, and I find it can sometimes take you ear off the ball by not thinking about the tunes being played. But is good to batch key tunes, and lets you figure out some good mixes you wouldn't have found otherwise. Need to get myself a keyboard so I can double check them. With you on the powercord mixes and other key mixing tricks. ;)

I think pre-programming is a bit silly, although its good to have certain mixes lined up and worked out beforehand. Still comes down to knowing your tunes before the gig.
Stylus Radio :: Every 2nd Sunday :: 6-8pm AEST :: http://www.nsbradio.co.uk
Raider

Post by Raider »

I think everyone should cut pre-recorded mixes to vinyl. that way, the challenge is to mix in each disc without anyone noticing.

Not.
Why did the elephant get lost in the jungle?
CAUSE THE JUNGLE IS MASSIVE!

http://facebook.com/RaiderDNB
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

big up everyone i had the 'pretending to mix' conversation with
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

I know peeps who 'practice' before going out to play to get the vibe of the songs they want to use. I used to do it when I first moved to the country, cuz I really had no idea what I was doing and I wanted to feel more confident with my selection.

Sometimes I would even plan out a mix (breaks n stuff) and head in with these mixes ready to go, i.e. records lined up in order. Each time I did this I killed the dance floor, because regardless of what punters were feeling, I'd stick to the set I planned.

It only took a few of these floor clearing sets to install a belief, in me, that pre-programming a set is absolutely shit and ALL sets should be based off the vibe in the venue and on the dancefloor...full stop! Regardless of the style of music being played. Speaking for DJ'ing, obviously...not bands (done that, too).

But to each their own. Unfortunately, I have not the time to even plug my decks in at home and haven't made a mix in 4 years (maybe I should). I do have my standard tracks that I know work for various times of the night for any mood, so I use these when I'm unsure of a venue (if it's the first time I've played there). Tools of the trade???

I'm too ADD to stick to a set list anyways...

:D
Fents

Post by Fents »

was listening to a mix i did at prime mover long time ago with danny on the mic on sunday. halfway through you can hear him say "Dancefloor cleared" cause i threw on some spastic heavy tune when peeps just wanted something a bit more wobbly. That shit cant be pre planned, you learn from that how to read a crowd.

Nothing like flicking through your box in search for that next bomb.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

obliveus wrote:pre-programming a set is absolutely shit and ALL sets should be based off the vibe in the venue and on the dancefloor...full stop! Regardless of the style of music being played.
Gotta disagree with this mate.

And it goes back to what spin said... turntable routines NEED to be planned.

And if you go and catch someone like Z-Trip, his stuff it definately pre-planned... BUT, he uses this to his advantage and is able to combine leftfield tunes with other tunes quickly and professionally. And if you go to see Z-Trip, you know he does this - and that's what you're paying for.

Also - I'd have no quams whatsoever with anyone pre-planning a set... IF IT WORKS.
If it keeps the dancelfoor packed, and keeps the vibes intact - who really gives a fuck?

Having said that, I've never planned a set. Couldn't be assed, it's much more fun to fly by the seat of your pants IMO.
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

Fine is you are doing proper recordings at home to hand out for promo work but as for doing it in a club, security should put them on their ass.

Even when you are new to club mixing (which is a huge step up to mixing in your living room) you dont learn anything from pulling out notes on what to do.
deviant

Post by deviant »

plus, you look like a loser with your little instruction sheet. ghey
mrj

Post by mrj »

let me ask this then...

does everybody take every single tune they own to every single gig that they play? no? well then everyone is at least partially planning a set, as they have narrowed the selection to the tunes they selected to bring.

its a weak argument I know, but that doesn't mean its completley without merit!
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
L-J

Post by L-J »

Its called being a wanker.

Its all well and good having a few mixes you know will work.

But planning tune for tune.

Waste of time and no challenge what so ever.
The South East Connection-Every Sat 9am-11am GMT+1 8pm-10pm GMT+10
Big Tings-24th Oct With Coki, Loefah, Mj Cole and Zed Bias @ Roxannes
Branded Beats- 6th Nov @ Mercat
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

mrj wrote:let me ask this then...

does everybody take every single tune they own to every single gig that they play? no? well then everyone is at least partially planning a set, as they have narrowed the selection to the tunes they selected to bring.

its a weak argument I know, but that doesn't mean its completley without merit!
When I was mixing vinyl, of course not but thats not anything but a logistical issue. With CD's, i can take every tune I own wherever I go and instead of only selecting from 100 tunes, i can select from thousands.

but even themn, when you go to a gig, you know what people (incl promoter) are expecting and you play to that, thats also part of becomnig a good dj. No point coming to a darkside dnb gig with a bag full of electro house - unless you wanna get killed ;-)

LJ ^^ spot on.
youthful_implants

deviant wrote:plus, you look like a loser with your little instruction sheet. ghey
not to mention the issues you will encounter when

a. in a dark booth
b. pinging off chops
c. dyslexical
Strontium Music

nic

Post by nic »

wot do u think about dubstep being played by computers ac23?
spin

Post by spin »

youthful_implants wrote:
deviant wrote:plus, you look like a loser with your little instruction sheet. ghey

a. in a dark booth
b. pinging off chops
c. dyslexical

i suffer from all of the above please help, glow in the dark pen perhaps? nah jus put ministry of dubstep on loop....
BOB DEEP
WOBBLE
REVOLVER
BLACK CAT
youthful_implants

spin wrote:
youthful_implants wrote:

a. in a dark booth
b. pinging off chops
c. dyslexical

i suffer from all of the above please help, glow in the dark pen perhaps? nah jus put ministry of dubstep on loop....
needs more of these tbh:

Strontium Music

fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

nic wrote:wot do u think about dubstep being played by computers ac23?
it's robotical!

a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

I don't have a problem with someone planning out chunks of their set (I do this), as long as they're ready to change direction if it's not working. DJing is no different to any other performance IMHO, rehearsing produces more professional results. Finding mixes that work really well and suit the direction you want to go in can take time, and if you nail a bulk of the mixes beforehand, you can really smash a dancefloor with a flawless performance on the night. That said, flying by the seat of your pants with a few beers in you is quite exciting when the crowd are digging it... it all depends on the night + vibe really.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Direkt wrote:
obliveus wrote:pre-programming a set is absolutely shit and ALL sets should be based off the vibe in the venue and on the dancefloor...full stop! Regardless of the style of music being played.

I was talkin bout a club set, not a turntable routine. 2 entirely different things. Many apologies to those turntablists on mb.com I may have offended. :wink:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

obliveus wrote:
Direkt wrote:

I was talkin bout a club set, not a turntable routine. 2 entirely different things. Many apologies to those turntablists on mb.com I may have offended. :wink:
Okay, so what about the turntablist influenced DJ's who do sets?

Like Z-Trip? Maybe even Dexter... although I'm not sure on him.
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

I have done it a couple of times recently. But not to plan a whole set, rather reminder on a couple of micro-bits that work together. We did it at the bug becuase itations and i were playing together and we had bridging bits worked out (most of which we abandoned anyway)

Why? becuase I just dont have time to practice enough to really remember all my preferred bits any more. couple of years ago when I played more i didn't have this problem, but after having a kid and djing taking a backburner, i just dont have any time to really prepare or practice at home. and with new music coming in that ive never worked into a set, i need the reminder.

particualrly with files actually - with records I used to just put bits together in the bag, but with tracks I dont know all the track numbers. come to think of it, a big part is to cut down listening time flicking through the cd, by jumping straight to the track by having it written down.

so yeah, not having the time to really have it all worked out i dont see the problem. there is a difference between a couple of things noted and planning a whole set without looking at the audience reaction though.
FoundationStepper

also, some genres offer more flexibility in just chucking things together. with spitfire ragga-jungle for eg, finding gaps for beats and vocals will usually require working a fair bit out before hand, at least for 1-3 track mixes. not such an issue with less busy music
enigneyratorelknaw

Post by enigneyratorelknaw »

You have to remember some folk won't take the time to kiss promoters asses to get gigs so when the rare gig comes along they like to make the most of it to grab peoples attention, or so.

A little pre prep is nessesary if as FS said the music is new or if you are planing to skip between genre's. Single genre ponies do not need to plan what so ever, and are really waisting everyones creative juices.

For some dj's its just a job for money and public recognition, for others its about expressing creativity and the search of

do what ever works best
marcus

Post by marcus »

youthful_implants wrote:

a. in a dark booth
b. pinging off chops
c. dyslexical
:lol: :lol: :lol:

These issues I also find compound issues with cd's/serato and anything else that requires you to read something during a gig. When I use to play out I'd just search for a record cover - that's how I remembered and distinguished all my tunes!
Stylus Radio :: Every 2nd Sunday :: 6-8pm AEST :: http://www.nsbradio.co.uk
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

marcus wrote:
youthful_implants wrote:

a. in a dark booth
b. pinging off chops
c. dyslexical
:lol: :lol: :lol:

These issues I also find compound issues with cd's/serato and anything else that requires you to read something during a gig. When I use to play out I'd just search for a record cover - that's how I remembered and distinguished all my tunes!
'it's in the black sleeve.' 'fuck!'
Coco Grimes

Post by Coco Grimes »

enigneyratorelknaw wrote:You have to remember some folk won't take the time to kiss promoters asses to get gigs so when the rare gig comes along they like to make the most of it to grab peoples attention, or so.
true!!
MY BEDROOM IS PAINTED RED. ITS A HORRIBLY VIOLENT SHADE OF RED BUT I'M AFRAID TO CHANGE IT BECAUSE I FEEL I MIGHT MAKE LESS AGGRESSIVE MUSIC IF I DO.
Coco Grimes

Post by Coco Grimes »

ac23 wrote:its like 2005 again haha
yeah i have that feel ever since i moved to this hemisphere...
this side is 4 years behind
MY BEDROOM IS PAINTED RED. ITS A HORRIBLY VIOLENT SHADE OF RED BUT I'M AFRAID TO CHANGE IT BECAUSE I FEEL I MIGHT MAKE LESS AGGRESSIVE MUSIC IF I DO.
nic

Post by nic »

u r ardcore tho
u even spell melbourne as M31burn lol
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

I heard ac23 rips all his tunes then burns them onto cd... all at the same bpm
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Even if that were true, it'd hardly be a crime considering how easy it is to beatmatch on CDJs using the BPM counter. I have no problem with any of these shortcuts as long as the DJ has done their time learning the ropes and can actually beatmatch and handle shit if things don't go exactly how they expected.
kallous

Post by kallous »

I dont have any issue with having a few good mixes you know work well as already mentioned,...but having a que sheet is rubbish imo.

I remember seeing the same bland set from the same dude week in week out, whilst still getting booked by all the promoters in town...
yet the average punter doesnt pick up on that sorta stuff.
Anyone can practice a set and make it sound flawless, and be known around the town as a "badman" ha

If the vibes are there then I guess the club & promoter will not be complaining.
Def know where your comming from steve.
Gliding High
Location: Little Evil's evil cave, 666 Nasty St, Horribleville

Post by Gliding High »

If your mixing fast and precise, a bit of pre-planning is an absolute must. As far as I know, the best club DJ's in the world all do this, and there is nothing wrong with it.
Personally, I always stack my records in some semblance of order, and even have stickers on key records, with a code I've made to have a quick glance in the booth, just to remind myself what I have to do.
I may only have a phrase or two to work with, and a sticker serves as a reminder to get the job done quickly, and correctly.

Of course, if your mixing end to end, and mix under 15 tunes an hour, this isn't really relevant. You probably haven't touched your decks since your last gig anyway :)
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

I know at least two big name DJs who annotate notes along with each of their tracks, including BPM, key, what time the bassline comes in/cuts out and/or when the "main" drop into the track is etc. From my experiences in DJ/production land, the most successful artists + DJs are the ones that are highly diligent and organised to the point of OCD.
FoundationStepper

Again, with bass drops and the like, we cant just read records anymore either. I used to judge my drops visually but it cant be done on cd
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

FoundationStepper wrote:Again, with bass drops and the like, we cant just read records anymore either. I used to judge my drops visually but it cant be done on cd
play records then :teef:
deviant

Post by deviant »

FoundationStepper wrote:Again, with bass drops and the like, we cant just read records anymore either. I used to judge my drops visually but it cant be done on cd
CDJ1000s ftw

:?:
FoundationStepper

Im getting more comfortable with them all the time - but still not intuitive like with wax. Still, just need more time and gigs with them to feel really comfortable.

yeah, thanks foo :teef:
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

From a layman's view, a totally planned set would be akin to playing a mix cd, IMO.

I can appreciate the turntablist argument but club djs..... (to me, a "turntablist influenced" club dj is still a turntablist).
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
nic

Post by nic »

AC23 lays another lol-trap
enigneyratorelknaw

Post by enigneyratorelknaw »

Your lives are pre planned for you anyway. Choice does not exist...

I wish melbourne was not a back water hicks ville, lets all buy shotguns and sit back n whittle some er hic!
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

How do you figure that melbourne is "back water hicks ville"?
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

enigneyratorelknaw wrote:Your lives are pre planned for you anyway. Choice does not exist...

I wish melbourne was not a back water hicks ville, lets all buy shotguns and sit back n whittle some er hic!
:?:
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

ac23 wrote:
enigneyratorelknaw wrote:You have to remember some folk won't take the time to kiss promoters asses to get gigs so when the rare gig comes along they like to make the most of it to grab peoples attention, or so.
on the subject of that, how does anyone get the pleasure in asking for a gig? i really cant understand it.
like deep down, it must feel silly.
purpose? to see ur name on a flyer?
doesnt it like proper mean something to u wen u get asked to play somewhere or something
do u get what im saying?

too many ppl got it wrong i rkn, u aint gonna make any dough on this music game as a DJ in melbourne
i mean, fark, every 50beans i make playing, i rkn 200 goes to vinyl and its the same for everyone who does it like that
so if ur gonna do it, why not proper like get deep with, in ya soul

im not even lean, dont get it twisted

like there is bare producers out there too who spammmmmmm the fuck out of stuff, suck dick for dubs,
then u got ppl like spherix, who just lays low, doesnt really give a fuck and u just see the funk roll out, its not even hyped
i rkn the same with dan motive, so many ppl falling under the radar, tall poppy shit in full effect.

gotta wait with this music, look 5years ahead, not 5weeks

i dont even know what im on about now but this venting this helping my mental (mental!)
Well spoken in your ventful way, my man. I agree with you 100%.

Dont know of many who do this for the cash...I know I dont. Fortunately, I make enough to keep the wife from making me stop the volume of gigs, but if I made nothing I'd still do it monthly or something along those lines. Why? Cuz it's still fun as hell...

Most of my mates forget that I still do this. I get a lot of this at BBQ's..."Oh, yer still doing that DJ thing???"

:lol:

Off topic, sorry. I got too much music going through my mind on a daily, hourly, minute by minute basis that I cant possibly practice for a gig. I need to be in a club for it to feel right...but that's me. Then again, I gotta make a mix for Marcus and I'm here instead...oops!
aroes

Post by aroes »

ac23 wrote: i rkn the same with dan motive, so many ppl falling under the radar, tall poppy shit in full effect.

gotta wait with this music, look 5years ahead, not 5weeks

i dont even know what im on about now but this venting this helping my mental (mental!)

case in point..........FREEZEFRAME on Levitated
choon was signed and released like wot, 4 years after the fact??
waaaay under the radar, ABSOLUTE BADMAN FUCKING MENTAL FUTURE CHOON

i don't even spin, i'll shut up now
DD tuxy

Post by DD tuxy »

Haha, in simple do whatever works for you and dont judge others if they do it different...

stupid fucking thread