MAC USERS - G4 Powerbook...or...Powerbook Pro...?

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
DC

MAC USERS - G4 Powerbook...or...Powerbook Pro...?

Post by DC »

I think im gonna bite the bullet and do it. But which one? Is the G4 more than good enuff...or should I wait for the dual intel processors?

Its like comparing a Honda to a Ferrarri. The Ferrarri can hit 300kmh...but how often do you drive over 110+.....?

Pros and Cons?

Im asking e everyone I meet. Mac users say I will never regret it. PC users say its a waste of money.

Please help.
Dedicated Breakbeat Shananigans
fikuss

Post by fikuss »

those new powerbooks are going to be ridiculous.

you won't regret buying a mac.

you might regret not waiting an extra few months tho.... they're going to be off the scale
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

what are you using it for?

if it's for anything audio related, i'd say get a pc. my tricked out powerbook is great for design work, but pretty poor for audio playback and processing.
Motive

Post by Motive »

truth is - buying a laptop is always going to be performance compromise. they will never be near as fast as a laptop. are u sure u want a laptop - most people i know don't take em outside the house. i use a g5 iMac - and it's been amazing performance wise.
Motive

Post by Motive »

oh - and my advice. PC users always mention the money when it comes to their choice. but what they forget is resale value. PCs have virtually no value when u sell them. most people pass them on for free or dump them. macs retain value. I bought a second G4 about 2 years ago for $1425, sold a year later for $1475. I currently have a G5 that i got for $1600 a year ago, its current value is $1300.

that's why i'd advise against the G4. soon enough it's going to be the old architecture and no-one will want it. you'd be better off in the long run choosing the new platform. but i'd wait a few months yet.
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

i've been a diehard pc user for the past 17 years. I got a powerbook and fell in love all over again.

i'd wait for the new ones.

i was tempted to sell my 9 month old PB and get an intel one but i reckon i'll wait for the 2nd generation ones. that way they will have ironed out any issues and more software will be native for intel as opposed to being emulated through rosetta.
that said if i was going to make the switch now i'd get a top specced intel PB. mmmmmmmm
There's no justice, just us.
DC

Post by DC »

Thanks for the advice so far. To be honest, the main reason why I've always wanted a Powerbook is because they look hella cool.....

As far as what I need it for, mainly graphics and hopefully to dabble in some music related shit down the line - as well as the everyday shit like web and mail etc...As far as using it to its full potential....see my Ferrarri analogy. Prolly never utilise its capacity - but I still want one!!!

How long do you think the wait is till the second gen comes out? The first ones are being released on the 1st of March.

Valuetime - When you say its pretty poor for audio playback and processing....what do you mean by that?
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

i'm a mac convert from last year. I don't look at PC's the same anymore, regardless of what chip is inside.

I learnt that when it comes to computing there will always be a movement for the latest and greatest; both speedwise and applications. However this being said, my move to mac explored a totally new level of productivity that the windows platform simply cannot do.

Sure the AMD's are speedy and powerful, but i'd trade it in for a quiet mac that performs my main daily functions without worrying about spyware, virii, losing work due to crashes, etc.

i'm using tools like Quicksilver, OmniOutliner, Mail that I wish windows had a few years back. Just clean, simple interfaces that let me do what I want.
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

the only time my powerbook has ever struggled with anything is when using ableton live 5. i'm just a bit dark on it at the moment, although i'm beginning to realise that i'm just not using the software very optimally.

sounds like even a second hand/new powerbook g4 will be more than good enough, and fairly cheap too once the new ones come out. i'd get a tricked out g4 pb.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Motive wrote:truth is - buying a laptop is always going to be performance compromise. they will never be near as fast as a desktop.
makes more sense now. :)
Motive wrote:PC users always mention the money when it comes to their choice. but what they forget is resale value. PCs have virtually no value when u sell them. most people pass them on for free or dump them. macs retain value.
not really. regardless of the architecture, if you've got good quality components, they'll retain value. Windows orientated hardware tends to change and revise quicker is all. (think DDR/DDR2, PCI-X/PCIe, x86/x64, etc.)

Apple tends to stick with one architecture in a product line for longer is all.
Motive wrote:that's why i'd advise against the G4. soon enough it's going to be the old architecture and no-one will want it. you'd be better off in the long run choosing the new platform. but i'd wait a few months yet.
totally agree. :scr1pt:

I'd wait until the first or second revision of the Intel based PowerBook. they use far less power, run a hell of a lot cooler and are just as fast running apps through Rosetta right now. it'll only get faster and better.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
DC

Post by DC »

Word word. Keep em coming.
JoyRiderz

Post by JoyRiderz »

Hans - if ya go for the new one, you will be heaps better off in the long run. I was talking to Gia just yesterday about them.

But consider:

If your using it for audio work its not gonna do anything real time for a few months at least (playing/editing audio)- some software company's say they will not be compatible till 2007. You would need to check the software company's websites to see when they reckon they will be compatible.

There is also a huge backorder and no confirmed ETA.

I use Mac and Pc - they both work well. Best thing to do is go for the one you are most use to.
http://www.myspace.com/joyriderz1
=========================
Australian Breakbreat Community
http://www.llupa.com/abc.swf
=========================
Planet Awave - Music is art. Technology is the tool
http://www.awave.com.au
DC

Post by DC »

I went into the Apple store the other day and asked questions....they pretty much regurgitated what was in the brouchurs and website already.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

NB: Logic 7.2 and Live 5.2 both run natively. Nuendo, Cubase and Reason will have native (Universal) versions released this year. most plugins run as Audio Units anyway, so they use the OS, not the hardware.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
mr lob

Post by mr lob »

hi hans,

been using a g4 powerbook for the last 8 months.

got the 12" model with an 80 gig hard disk, 1 gig ram and a dvd burner.

i f****n love it.

use it create and run my website from, record straight into it from a mixer, eamil, design, photography everthing.

have got loads of software if you want it.

just started to have some issues with the dvd burner but other than that it is fine!

great because it is portable, small and I use it also with a normal keyboard, mouse and 17" flat screen monitor.

it's in built wireless system is great as well, have managed to pick up the net in the most unlikely of places!!

maybe a second hand one for now and a new one next year once the 2nd gen comes out...
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

What everyone else said - don't buy the new MacTels just yet. If you need a laptop now, get a G4. They're fine, fine, fine.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

DC wrote:Thanks for the advice so far. To be honest, the main reason why I've always wanted a Powerbook is because they look hella cool.....
Where r u from again mate?

:lol:
DC

Post by DC »

Thanks so much for the advice guys. Much appreciated.
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

I have a G4 ibook at the mo, I likes it alot, since I've had it never have had any virus! Only down side is you have to constantly renew or update software.
DC

Post by DC »

^^ But thats same with PC's as well....