eqing an amen

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
unsoundbwoy

eqing an amen

Post by unsoundbwoy »

just gettin a bit of help from mainframe on the mix of a new track, hope this will help anyone else tryin to get a tuffa punchier amen!

you should try throwing that same amen in soundforge... cut it in 3...

use the graphic eq to isolate 500hz and below, then 500hz to 2k hz, then 2k hz and up.

copy the file three times so you have 3 windows of the same break open and then apply what i just said above with the eq.

compress the bottom end, tube amp and slightly (SLIGHTLY) distort the middle part (like 5% maximum), then eq the top end to get a nice crisp sound.

copy that top end (after the eq'ing), go to the middle part you just did and right click/Mix. bring the mix in so it sounds nice with the mid. then, when you have those 2 combined, copy THAT wav and use the mix function again to blend it with the bottom part you just compressed.

that should give you a nice, fat break that sounds clean
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

Strangely enough I remember hearing this is the same technique Jonny L used on the Amen in" Lets Roll" :D
Dave_wratH

Post by Dave_wratH »

We just layer at least 2 different amen's over each other. Mix and effect each one singally then mix them into the track, ususally with 1 other drum kit that has more 'definition'. As long as all 3 sit correctly, they sound good together and don't phase you should be right. You may need to pitch the drums up or down to help get rid of any phasing. I find running all the drums throught the same reverb will also help the loop sound more unified.
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

i pretty much avoid reverb on my drums unless im looking for something extreme, and i think preprocessing the drums is better for many reasons, firstly the load is taken off the CPU, secondly if i want the drums at a certain pitch thats where i want them, in jungle the drums have a melodic as well as a percussive roll and changing the pitch to avoid phasing is going to be destructive to the structure of the song. the way i can see your method working better is if you have a few copies running, one that plays kicks in the normal freq, one for snares at the normal freq and one for hats and pitched up snares, but i think this is asking for extra confusion and wont really add anything to that cant be achieved by getting the loop properly setup before its put in the sampler
amulday

Post by amulday »

bring the amen into wavelab

highlight the amen

edit ----> delete

import a new, more original break

:teef:
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

:)
DruidTek

Post by DruidTek »

There are many different ways to get a great drum sound, here's a couple -

Chop the break into seperate hits (or make a rex file in recycle) and then assign each element of the break to a seperate channel in your sequencer environment (kicks on channel 1, snares on channel 2 etc) and EQ and process each element seperately from there.

Once you are happy with the break, resample it and load it up on 2 seperate audio tracks. Load a compressor or amp simulator on the first instance pushed to the point of mild distortion and then turn it down low in the mix so it runs underneath the main version.

To get depth, you have to layer up multiple breaks and group all the kicks and snares on the seperate channels as above, and then rewrite the break from scratch using the hits like a drum machine.